View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

coyote hunting tactics 
King of Spring

Post coyote hunting tactics
I'm not a trapper at all, so any predator (specifically coyotes) hunting that I do, is by calling to them and sniping them out. I was curious as to what are your tactics that you specifically use while you hunt them? I tried it out last season to absolutely no avail, in fact, we ended up hunting crows, because we got tired of them coming to our calls.. and we got bored waiting for nothing! lol!

Sooo.... give me some advice! we have a fox pro that we use that's got every call known to man! we have a coyote male decoy... we have a distressed animal decoy (the moving tail)...

is it better to use a coyote howl more, or a distress call more...

is it better to sit on the ground or in a treestand...

how long of sits are reasonable... if nothing comes in... how long do we give it before we leave and go somewhere else!

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:31 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: coyote hunting tactics
Only thing I've got is foxes will usually come on in fast and coyote need at least a 30 min sit usually.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 pm
Poult

we have really gotten into hunting yotes in the woods using
shotguns.....12 gauge with Dead Coyote shells makes for
some fun hunting

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:27 am
Longbeard

The call you use really depends on the time of year. Coyotes in VA are mating in Jan/Feb so howls, challenges, barks etc are more likely to bring them in then vice distress call. Only downside to howling 1st is that you usually bugger any fox or bobcat that may be in the area. Not a big deal now b/c only coyotes are in season. I normally sit from 25-45 min. depending on the location & what other sets I've got lined up. Never used a coyote decoy but do run the FoxPro Blackjack decoy most of the time. I've killed coyotes anywhere from 30 seconds into a set to 30 min. in. Don't normally kill them much longer than that but sit up to 45 min. if there are bobcat in the area I'm hunting.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 am