View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

Interested in coyote trapping... 
Poult

Post Interested in coyote trapping...
Hey Guys,

I have a large hunting lease along with my own property where I occasionally get pics of coyotes on my deer cams, I am interested in trying to trap some of them for fun but also to keep the population in check- hopefully saving a few of our deer and turkeys. Been reading up it for a little while now. Looks like I will need the following: trowel shovel-narrrow, 24 inch trap stake, size 2-3 trap(2 or 4 coils?). I don't have a lot of domestic dogs on my land or lease but want to be careful to not accidentally catch any. Are power-lines a good spot to place a trap? seem to get a lot of pics of coyotes on my lease where they run through the woods. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:15 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Interested in coyote trapping...
Yes powerlines are a good spot. They run terrain features like farm lanes, drainage ditches, powerlines, etc So if you find where 2 terrain features intersect, that is doubly good spot to set for coyotes. Check out some of the catch pics posted on here and you can see some good spots. Get out there in the snow and follow tracks, that's a great way to find good spots.

#2 or #3 traps are both good. 4 coil will never hurt for coyotes. 2 coil on a weak spring trap will not hold them. I run a lot of 2 coil mb 550s because the springs are strong enough to hold a coyote, and 4 coils on that trap would increase the pan tension too much on greys. my bridger #2s are 4 coiled and will hold coyotes and catch greys all day. I use them a lot, very good trap for a mixed line.

As far as dogs go I have never had one hurt by a trap. Any set that can catch a coyote can catch a dog. Just get a $25 catch pole and they are usually not difficult to release. I have never had one come back at me, no matter how nasty they act before the trap comes off. Still got to be prepared for whatever.

I would highly recommend not using a single 24" stake to anchor a coyote. You may hold them some of the time but you will lose a lot, and even one is too many. If you want to use rebar, use double stake rings and cross stake with two.

There's a lot of good videos out there that really cut the learning curve. Mark June and J Lord both have very good videos on coyote trapping. Actually the best money you can spend.

Here's a link to a supply house that has very good service. They can help you get what you need over the phone: http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Neil,

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

If your coyote set is positioned in one of these areas- how often are you likely to catch a deer by accident? I definitely don't want that happening, can a deer pull out of size 2 or 3? I see bridger makes dogless traps? Will do they mean by dogless exactly? Hard to believe they would not catch a dog.

What do you use for a trap anchor? Earth anchors?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm
Poult

Neil,

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

If your coyote set is positioned in one of these areas- how often are you likely to catch a deer by accident? I definitely don't want that happening, can a deer pull out of size 2 or 3? I see bridger makes dogless traps? Will do they mean by dogless exactly? Hard to believe they would not catch a dog.

What do you use for a trap anchor? Earth anchors?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm
King of Spring

I use a kind of stepdown dirt hole set and have no problems with deer. Sometimes they will approach a set attracted to the urine or salt (antifreeze). I don't use excessive amounts of salt or urine. If a deer did step on a trap it would not hold it or hurt the deer. I wouldn't be worried about it.

"dogless" refers to the build of the trap, not to whether or not you will catch an actual dog. The "dog" is the piece that holds the jaw down and the trap open. They are frequently chewed up by coyotes.

I use MB chain stakes. Sometimes I double stake with rebar or use a drag.

I would recommend MB 550 2 coil as a good coyote trap.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Poult

Thanks Neil, I decided to get some bridgers #2, do I need to wax or dye them or are they good to go out of the box?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:50 pm
King of Spring

Trap prep is largely personal preference. New traps in factory grease.....I run them through the dishwasher and/or powerwash them, then wax. After they've been used I powerwash, boil, dye, wax.

What other stuff did you buy?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Thanks...I picked up 6 bridger #2's 4 coil, 1 dozen bullet earth stake with 15' chain with driver, bottle of red fox mag p, coyote bait, sifter, bag of dye, couple bars of odorless wax and some screw in C rings to attach the traps to the anchor chain/stake.

Already have a 5 gallon bucket, small trowel shovel, 2 lb sledge hammer. Got most of it from Minnesota trap line.

Anything else I should get? Thanks again for the help.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:12 pm
Poult

Do you use coffee filters or wax paper to cover the trap pan? or nothing?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 pm
King of Spring

I bed my traps in dry peat moss (from lowes) so I do not need pan covers....dry peat sheds water and doesn't combat. I use table salt as anti-freeze.

You probably have just about everything you need just to run a few traps. I strongly advise you get a catch pole to release non-targets, especially if you plan to start trapping for yotes now when nothing else is in season. You will need enough wax to completely submerge a trap. I keep a pot with 10-15#'s and add as needed. You can probably use paraffin from the grocery store. Also you will need something to pull those chain stakes. I welded my own puller. The heavy duty ones from the trapping supply places probably work well too.

The best way to get ahead of the game is to buy some good trapping videos. There is good stuff and junk out there. Mark June's 2 coyote videos are very good to get started. They will cut years off the learning curve.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

J Lords videos are also very good especially for beginner. Matt Jones K9 and cat video has some great stuff but I probably more intermediate to advanced. I didn't like his coyote trapping east of the big river video but the rest of his videos have a lot of great info.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Neil,

Good point on the catch pole, I am going to get one tonight. Thanks for all the advice, looking forward to trapping season this fall and hopefully trapping a few coyotes this spring. Don't be surprised if I PM you if I have a few more ?'s.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:26 pm