View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

Keeping coyote traps in the ground? 
Jake

Post Keeping coyote traps in the ground?
I'm just now getting into trapping and I want to start trapping coyotes since we have seen a few deer that they have killed on our land from them. I have 3 #2 traps and Ive been reading alot about where a single 18 inch rebar won't hold a trap in the ground and the coyote will get away with the trap. What is everyone out there using to keep their traps secure in the ground? I want to do this the right way without hopefully having to learn the hard way so any input would be awesome!!! :D

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Keeping coyote traps in the ground?
hello, i would get some disposable stakes. rebar was good in the days. but if you use rebar then cross dbl stake them. i use earth anchor or fox hollow anchor. some berkshire ones. just the plan ones. the heavy duty ones are junk. the wolf fangs are good also..here is a link to some..what #2 trap do you have? i use #2 bridgers and #3 dukes. i have used #2 dukes. but they dont have enough kill area for me..thanks

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapp ... le+Stakes/

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

So you drive those into the ground using a driver then leave them behind when done, or pull them for use elsewhere?

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 am
King of Spring

We pulled ours out and will re-use again next year. Made a puller out of a post hole digging iron. Our anchors, homemade as well, are only about 10 inches and we'll still have to dig down a few inches in order to pry them from the ground. We use them moreso for people deterrents than animal pulling power. Without specialized tools you aren't getting them out of the ground.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm
King of Spring

A single rebar stake of any size will make short work for a coyote. When I first started trapping I had a couple of 18" stakes pulled by coons...luckily they both hung up within feet of the sets. Making sure your catch is secure is one of the most important responsibilities of trapping.

I now use MB chain super stakes for most of my land sets. I run a j-hook from the last swivel to the chain stake. Very difficult to steal and the coyotes can't budge them. I wish I had figured this out from the beginning, would have saved me a lot of money trying out different systems.

I made a tool to pull them out. It can be very difficult to get them out of hard ground. I threw my back out Saturday pulling from rock hard frozen ground. In the future I may use cable Berkshires in the hardest ground. Loop the cable through the terminal swivel for theft proofing, and then just cut the cable flush with the ground when pulling.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Interesting. May want to wait until spring thaw next time Denny. Those anchors look great, but I would be unwilling to leave them behind. A buddy of mine uses 2 rebar stakes put in crosswise and seems not to have problems. I understand you need at least that because when a yote hits the trap he shoots straight up and can pull single stakes. Thanks for sharing.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:13 am