View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

first day double 
King of Spring

Post first day double
I put out a few sets for the opener....got this double and another possum. Guess if I had three traps here I might have got another red?

Probably won't get to trap much this year. I put out 11 dp's and 12 footholds in Chesapeake today. Plan to run them for a week. Should be interesting with deer hunters out in force. I'll be checking in the dark so probably won't be many pics. There in the process of harvesting beans on the place now.

Last edited by Neill on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: first day double
congrats neill.. i haven't started yet. rifle season is going on and dont want to get my traps stolen..good luck this season..

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Nice job. I've always thought about trying trapping, just haven't tried it yet.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 pm
King of Spring

DONT DO IT..ITS MORE ADDICTING THAN ANY DRUG!!!!

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

First of the year.....big one, unforutantely didn't get to weigh but may have been my biggest yet. Sorry for the bad photo, he wouldn't sit still and it was dark:

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Neill, how often do you come to the 757? I am limited on time with a young family but would love to tag along sometime. I live in Smithfield. PM me if you get back this way this season.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:10 pm
King of Spring

heck yea...way to go neill. i hope you catch all the fawn killers..congrats

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Bird Dog, I will be putting out another line in January or February....I'd be happy to show you around a bit.

They just finished cutting the beans yesterday, unfortunately it's time for me to pull traps. I managed to avoid any conflict despite lots of hunters out. Did have a couple traps run over by farm equipment but still salvageable.

This was one of the first checks on this line.

I know I'm not the first to say it but if greys were as big as yotes it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods.

Picked up this scrappy female this moringing. 26#

Love to see some pics from you other fellas.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I finished pulling this line today, and by the time I was done I needed a pep talk! Bitter cold, wind and driving rain! Dang deer killed my back pulling all those chained super stakes! I use the bulldob stake puller for rebar and a super stake puller I made for the chains. They make it easy in looser soil but get a little too deep in clay and it takes a lot of might to pry them out. It makes me wonder what's going to pop first, the tool, the stake, the soil or my back.

I caught a possum on my last check, so I didn't get sunked. Yesterday I had a trap stolen. The chain was cut above the end swivel, which was attached to a splitring and chain stake. Guess they didn't know they could have just removed the split ring. There was a boot print on the set pattern. I had three other sets within 30 feet, none of them touched. There was coon in one yesterday and a coon in one the day before. I had put the sets in Saturday in full day light. A warden pulled up and talked to me for a few minutes while I was putting them in. There were farm hands bringing in a crop down the road. Monday at 0500 two hunters checked into a nearby area and could have seen the coon before I got to it at 0530. I later found out they complained when I drover further down the road and dispatched a coyote within site of where they were hunting apparently. It "messed up their shot" apparently. Even though it was more than a half hour before shooting light and still full dark. I guess that's what you expact if you hunt right up on a road.

So either the hunters or one of the farm hands must have jacked the trap. I will mention it to the warden bon't don't expect anything to come of it. Just glad it was only one trap, and a relative cheap one at that. Last time I had traps stolen was when I got cleaned out of a beaver swamp three years ago and lost several MB 750's along with drowning rods. That really hurt.

This week was fun but left me with more empty stretcher than I would have liked.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:42 pm
Profile WWW