View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Urban trapping... 
King of Spring

Post Urban trapping...
So a few days ago I got permission to trap at a church/school smack in the middle of the city. It's not far from my house and backs up to a tidal drainage. I put 4 dog proofs on the drainage a few days ago and baited without setting. They were all cleaned of bait. Tonight I set the DPs and also set two footholds on lad PVC sets. Tomorrow I will put in more footholds if necessary. My goal is 2 coon, 2 fox, no non-targets and no "incidents." If it works well I have a couple other places in mind.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Urban trapping...
First check, two nice boar coons, 14 & 16 #'s. I will put out a few fox sets this afternoon. One think I thought was interesting...I had 4 dp's out in groups of two about 50' apart. One of each group was baited with fish, the other with plumb loco lure and marsh mallows. Both of them went for the plumb lure first and were caught.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:03 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

good deal and conrats on your cathces..

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:33 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I had this red/grey double and another coon this morning. Should have been a triple with another grey at a third set right there, but one grey pulled out of a 450 leaving me a toenail. The red was so big I thought it must be a dog when I pulled up.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

nice catches neill..congrats

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:28 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Pulled the traps this morning....nothing yesterday or today. Very pleased with the way it went....met my goals and no problems. I may look for a few more opportunities in the area.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Furs on the boards, coon meat sold, gear power sprayed and put away.....great feeling :smt003

Can't wait to do it again in a few weeks. :smt004

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

One other thing: the trap that lost the fox the other night, I gave it a good inspection after pulling this morning. It is a 450, and the dogs are not coyote proof. I never caught a yote in a 450, but last year I caught one in a set right next to a 450. She dog up the trap, fired it, and used it as a chew toy. I flattened the dog back to where it would set again. I should have paid closer attention, and it cost me this grey. The dog is torqued a bit, and didn't set properly. It was on a hair trigger and no tension instead of 1.5#'s they are designed for. So the trap fired before the grey shifted weight onto that paw resulting in toe catch.

I don't have a replacement dog, but I was able to file the edge of the bump in the dog that sets the pan tension...back to about 1.5#'s and firing crisply again.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

who did you sell the coon meat to?

Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:46 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Bronco I sell to a variety of people. There are not as many buyers up this way as there are futher south, but I still move all I can catch. You may have a harder time moving it in the mountains. I sell to both white and black people but you will find more black people looking to buy it. Also more people from the deep south.

It's legal to sell in NC and VA, and some other states...but not all. When I lived in NC I had a road crew go by as I was pulling a coon out of a drainage ditch. A couple of the guys followed me back to my truck and gave me their #. They bought all I caught that year. That's how I got started. One year I had a bunch that needed selling....there's a bunch of barber shops on HWY 24. I started at one end and politely asked the barbers if they knew anybody that would be interested. One of those guys ended up buying all I had and the rest I caught for the year.

I've got hits of craigslist and online yard sales.

Word of mouth is also great. Once the word gets out folk will find you.

It's a great boon to trappers. Wasn't long ago that the market was in the tank on fur and the meat brought more than the fur.

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

ok, thanks for the info.. will start asking around.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:35 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Congrats Neill.

Please keep the trapping reports coming.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Good job!

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:14 pm
King of Spring

I revisited this spot yesterday afternoon and put in 2 fox traps and 2 dp's. Put the anal gland from a red in heat I caught last week in the dirtholes....real strong musky odor. Got in this morning a couple hours before light and had a nice big red and nice big boar coon. No pics due to the light. These city critters are heavy and very well furred. Must be all the scraps out of the dumpsters.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

oh boy. would love to seen pictures. i love them reds. they are the pretties k9's out there..congrats to you on the fine catches..

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:04 am
Profile YIM