View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 am

Last line of the season..... 
King of Spring

Post Last line of the season.....
I put out my last little line of the season last weekend. I've been running it every day before sunup, so no pics (my camera doesn't work in the dark...lol). The cold weather mixed with mating season has made for a good time. I picked a few nice coon and greys so far, and an alpha coyote. I caught 4 females on this place last month but this was the first male. I gave him a little bit too much chain and he was able to get up on his back feet and jump at me. No firearms on this federal property, but thankfully I was able to get him down without taking away any teeth marks. Originally I was going to pull Sunday but now I think I will ride it out til Wed and see how things go with the warmup. The yote had a mangy tail and starting to rub on the shoulders. I skinned him out b/c it looked good otherwise....just cut off the tail. The coon still looking pretty good for the most part. Put one up tonight that was really pretty. Anybody else still at it?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:27 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Last line of the season.....
I caught a coon yesterday that ended up being one of the nicest I got this year......only 11# but stretched 2xl....not an ounce of fat on him, but awesome fur and good leahter....weird.

We had a couple inches of snow last night. Maybe the 2nd time ever I've had the benefit of trapping in snow. Numerous sets visited by greys, but none really worked. Every single one approached from the back. Just missed a coyote....freshened up the yote sets with urine. I have a set in my back yard where I caught a couple greys. One came in last night and ran circles around it. Its crazy how they can jump a 4' fence like it's not there. I will be placing a trap in the tracks behind the set and see how it works.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Here's my back yard set.....you can see the tracks where he ran around it twice before darting in to steal the table scraps, missing the pan.

I went in and dug out the trap and rebedded it, with a bit more guiding to make it more difficult to get over the pan with stepping on it. I really need to dig it out to more of a step down, where the pan is the lowest point on a shelf, didn't want to fool with that in the snow. However, I added a second trap behind the set, and placed a stepping stick in front of it and some guiding. I f that little bugger is back tonight, hopefully I'll get him. There is a second beside this one where the back is completely blocked off, he went right by to get to the set in the pics, never bothered with it.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

good luck neill. you should have him tomorrow. thanks, denny

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:23 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

This morning I caught a 28# female in the remake from the male the other day:

Here's the remake:

There were lots of tracks circling in the snow, so there was at least one other with her. When I pulled up she was barking and howling, and another dog was answering a couple hundred yards away in the woods. Hopefully pick them one up in the next couple nights. I intend to pull Tuesday morning. I freshened up all my coon sets for the big warmup coming Monday night.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Nice dog. Perfect set location.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Pulled my line today. Caught a possum this morning and a grey yesterday. Coons stole the Marsh Mallows out of my dp's at 2 location but wouldn't go in the trap. I'm beginning to realize there's more refusals with them than I thought.

Got the middle finger from a yote this morning. This set is about 30 yards away from the one in the photo's above. That trap was treated with Full Metal Jacket.....won't be using that on k9 traps anymore:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I remember a fox doing something similar years ago. It is quite the calling card.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 am