View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

muskrats.... 
King of Spring

Post muskrats....
So as not to hijack the mink thread, I started this one. I'm interested to hear from those of you who trap muskrats on small creeks and rivers. What kind of sign do you look for, what kind of sets do you use? I have not seen much obvious sign, maybe a couple toilets. I have picked up a couple rats last year and this in sets for other critters.....so I know there's a few around.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: muskrats....
hey neill. i just pick up 2 more rats last night.. that's 6 total..i look for there holes in the bank and where they have dug holes in the ground. i put a 110 right in front of the hole.. i also look for slides. where they come out and slide back in the water....i also set on trails under water.. like you see a tight place where they go around something and you can see the mud on the bottom of the creek is all washed away..make's like a trail under water if that makes since to you..i have used 2 colony traps and haven't had any luck yet..need muddy water to catch them in those. i put out 13 more sets today and pull some of my other ones. i also put out a muskrat float in a small dam..i have several DVDs on muskrat trapping . but they are all out west and hard to learn anything from them..if i had a camera i would make one myself.. hope this helps. denny

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

also, neill i will get some picture of what i look for tomorrow and maybe that will help you some.. here is a float i made today. i made one earlier today and forgot to get some pictures. i will get them tomorrow when i go check it..thanks, denny

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Do you ever do any good on those floats?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

nope. i did get one on another one. but it was turn over. so this tells me this one and the other one are to lite and need to be bigger and more stable for the rat to limb on it..i think if it wobbles or moves al ot they get scared and shy a way from it...

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:56 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I made a dozen float from plans I saw on trapperman. Each holds 4 110's. They are big and heavy. I only put a couple out on size with no hits. I don't have the space to store them, room to carry them in the truck, or the time to fool with them on the line. So I junked all but 2. Biggest waste of time and money I've had trapping related so far. I am content to not be a muskrat trapper...lol. I don't care if they go over $20. I am content to catch the big ones that pop a beaver or otter trap every now and then though.

I heard the float thing is regional, that not many folk have luck with them in the east.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

i don't think we have the rat population that other states do. i love rat trapping. that and mink are my favorite things to catch. and easy as heck to flesh and put up...lol

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:02 am
Profile YIM