View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 am

mink sets 
King of Spring

Post mink sets
helo, what does everyone use for a mink set? i saw some wheres someone was using 6" pc. pvc pipe to catch minks.. i would like to try and catch one but not sure what sets to use. thanks, denny`

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:56 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: mink sets
I have never caught one, probably because I use dog proofs and this year also cubbies for coon, and they won't catch mink. Last year I did a few pockets for coon but didn't catch any mink.

This year I had 2 bottom edge sets with 160's, I think they would be small enough to catch mink. I did have one 110 set for mink and it came close to connecting. It was on the stagnant water side of a bridge support. There was just a small bit of water giving way to sand. There was a ledge along the support where they could crawl out of the water onto the ledge. I set a 110 on the ledgt and then blocked it off. The mink swam on the stagnant water side, came out onto the sand, and approached my blocking within a couple feet, turned around and went back into the water. I wish I taken pics of the set and the tracks but I didn't. I never paid attention to mink tracks until last year. And I was surpised to find them at every water location where I was setting coon tracks. There are a lot more of them around than I would have thought. Not like Minnesota or the midwest, but they're around. Probably the easiest way to catch them woudl be to set pockets for coon, and stick blind sets along the edge where they travel. If I was trapping every day I would make it an effort to catch one. Definately a neat critter.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:49 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Also, I tried the pvc thing a few years ago and found no benefit to it. Not trying for mink but coon. Just more clutter in the back of the truck.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I've heard it said that every creek no matter how small has a mink working it. Set a lot of traps, blind, baited, you name it. Eventually you'll connect. We get most of ours in muskrat sets but occasionally in a pocket that was meant for coon. I usually run to much pan tension on my coon traps to connect with the light foot mink. They are like a snake with fur and feet. If you see a hole near the water, set a trap over it, near it or on it.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 am
King of Spring

i saw a picture od a PC of PVC pipe with 2 110 coni's in it for mink. but cant remember where i saw it at. thanks guys,,Denny

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

This is different.

http://jayme220.proboards.com/index.cgi ... &thread=22

This doesn't sound like your rig, but interesting none the less. One guy said he uses sardine oil, bone meal and corn starch for thickener. I might think about this for my water front.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm
King of Spring

Check out Jim Spencer's mink series, and also liked Bruce Slater's mink video.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

i have both of those neill..very good video's...thanks, denny

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:11 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

hello all. well got my first mink today...very happy...here is where and i got him in a bottom edge set on a pinch point..thanks, denny

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

congtrats!

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Denny,

Was he working the bait in the PVC or just happened to wander past? What did you use for bait if the former.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 am
King of Spring

no Vic. i don't use any bait or lure.. i use the bottom edge set..mink and muskrats like to swim under water and hug the bottom on the floor....they also like Sharp corners to cut..and you can see in the picture of mine. they like to come down stream and hug against the bank and make that sharp bend in the bank..and set any bridge with concrete corners.. i made a red line in my picture to give you little ideal on what the mink and rats like to do. i took a rat one night and a mink the next night with the same set...i put out a rat float and 6 110's yesterday and one colony trap..cant wait to go check them....thanks, denny

this is a bottom edge set...
Image.

here there travel way..

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Very nice, congrats! I need to utilize that set more often myself.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 am
King of Spring

Got it, cool. So the PVC just encourages them to hold to the bank even tighter.

Vic

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:54 am
King of Spring

hello Vick. that's not a PC pipe i have in my pictures.. it's a old window weight i painted white.. i use it for a stabilizer...if that makes any sense..thanks, denny

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm
Profile YIM