View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:50 am

trapping season opening in 15 days who ready? 
King of Spring

Post Re: trapping season opening in 15 days who ready?
Denny those are muskrat floats that I made a year ago. I don't trap muskrats, I don't know why I made them. Anyway, I didn't like the design, so as seen in the photo, they are partially disassembled, ready to be rebuilt. I didn't get around to that. I'm not confident they would work this part of the country anyway. Big waste of time and money :roll:

The not yet painted boxes are VA legal 220 boxes. I did finish those and put the first out today. I aslo made smaller boxes for 155's which don't have all the restrictions. I guess I'm trying them all just for fun. It's really not that hard to catch a coon without them :mrgreen:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

ok, thanks for the reply. good luck and post all the catches you make.

denny

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Just had a few traps out so far....getting ready to go full bore for the next week with deer season closing out. First red of the season, always nice to see this when you pull up, a red on a pond dam:

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

great job on the red fox. its a beauty...i will be going at it hard now rifle season is over. neill. can you give me the sizes on the 220 and 155 coni boxs you made. thanks, denny

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

The 220 boxes are 2' long, 1x12 for top, 1x10 for sides, 8" or so shelf inside the bottom, hardware cloth on the back, srap wood on the front top to keep it under 60". I just fooled around and came up with that, everybody seems make them different. I cut the slots with recipricating saw. Even with those wide slots I have to angle a belisle just right to get it in. Hole drilled in the back for stake. Trigger in front for neck catch. I got 10-12$ apiece in them. You can make them cheaper but I built to last on the advice of Matt Jones. Just set a few yesterday, so we'll see. Makes it easy to set rocky creek beds. 160 boxes would be a lot easier and cheaper to make, and easier to haul. Not sure if you would get more refusals.

Don't remember on the 155's. They are 18 or 20" long. Same basic design as 220 boxes without the offset. The top of the box his 2" longer to discourage a dog from sticking is nose in. The offset is 3-4" on the sides. I think I may have used 1x8" but I had to flare the front in order to get the trap in. I drilled a hole in back to stake, but had to but extentions on the chain of the traps so I can stake the box and chain together. The trigger is set in back and the wires are bent up and back, to make sure he gets in there good before it fires. I only made 7 and have about $4 apiece in them.

If I catch anyting, I will post pics.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

ok, thanks a lot for the info neill. and good luck with the boxes. be waiting on pictures. thanks, denny

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:22 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Yes, I plan to run hard too now that rifle season is out. I hunted deer hard this year chasing a buck from my farm that I saw yesterday up in Barry's cooler, shot on property nearby.

So far I have run a limited # of traps for a few nights. I have caught six possums already which I take to be a bad sign....that's twice as many as last year. Will run hard tommorrow and hope to get another 45 sets out.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:45 pm
Profile WWW