View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:25 pm

more sets out. 
King of Spring

Post more sets out.
hello fellas. i took up 6 traps Monday. an i reset 6 sets today. i did my first Sept down set. i hope it is close to being right.
i put just a stick with lure in the hole and some fox urine down the hole. i have a duke #4 4x4 trap in the step down. so fingers cross. i took another picture so you guys could see the trail coming down the hill. it right above the little tree.

and i made a flat set with some fox urine on a stump.

and a flat set with coyote gland and a little fox urine under a rock..

and a picture of my trap bedded. with wax paper over my pan. does it look close fellas...lol

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: more sets out.
If a critter comes by they'll work. With that stepdown I know the entire trap is below the immediate area however i still like to make the area directly over the pan the shallowist spot, about the size of the critters foot. I actually take the trowel longways and make a small ditch so to speak right over the trap pan and entrance to the hole. Wish I had a pic to show you. I'd also prolly add the slightest of backing to that dirthole to force an animal around front to work the set from the trap side. With all that said what you have will catch critters if they happen by. With all things critter related, location, location, location. The best set with the best lure won't catch a thing if it's not on location. And a solidly bedded trap which you appear to have. good luck.

Last edited by Bigmeat on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 pm
King of Spring

Unfrozen and dry dirt in January. That would be a NH luxury.

I like the flat set by the rock. I'd have a dirt hole back up set real close. Some critters will not work a dirthole. They will show interest but just are unsure.

But they always pee before they leave. :D

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

thanks fellas. i am learning a little and as i go a lone an you fellas are helping me a lot. thanks you all.

bigmeat, i wish you had a picture to. that would help me a lot. i don't think they will work it from the rear. its pretty steep. but you never know. and thanks for your help.

coalman, the whether here is up and down. frozen last week 60 today. but i like it. that flat set is about 50 yards from the step down set. and i made it without disturbing the deer droppings. so, maybe a yote will pass by. i need to catch one or so, the land owner may not like me know more..thanks coalman for your help

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile YIM