View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:16 pm

Seeking Advice 
2 Year Old

Post Seeking Advice
I am a trappping newbie and have no real idea where to begin. I have watched lots of videos about setting traps but I am not sure what traps to buy. I am mainly looking to trap coyotes solely to get rid of them.

Could someone please give me advice on what size traps to buy for coyotes? I guess foot traps are the best? Thanks.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Seeking Advice
MB 550 2 coil offset are super built traps, very easy to bed and handle. They are more than enough trap for cats and yotes, and good for fox too. Hands down it's the best all around trap out of the box. You can get them from the folks that make them right here: http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/ind ... 96_477_968

What videos have you been watching? There's a lot of junk out there, but Mark June, J Lord and Matt Jones (crappy quality but good info) will all put you on the right track.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

This is how I set my traps up. It's not he only way, just the way I do it. This makes them versatile and you can switch between several anchoring systems.

This a pic of the setup. There's several inches of stock chain from the MB 550 with a stock crunch proof swivel. I then add a inline JC Conner shock spring. Mine required welding the rings but now they make newer ones that are weld free. The shock springs were required by law in NC, but I like them anyway because they make it much more difficult for a coyote to pull a stake, damage a trap, or hurt itself. After the shock spring I add another crunch proof swivel. Then I add a JC conner double stake ring. On this particular trap I have a split ring connecting the double stake ring to an MB chain stake. You can also use s hooks or quick links. Quick links are the easiest. The chain stakes are made by the same folks that make the 550. They have welded a super stake to American #2 chain with an s hook. It's easy to drive and will HOLD. The driver only cost $7 each.

Here's a close up showing the shock spring, double stake ring and the split ring.

What's versatile about this set up is I can easily remove the chain stake from the split ring and switch in a drag. I use JC conner drags on 8-10' of #3 chain with a couple of in line crunch proof swivels. There are times when a drag is much better than a solid anchor.

Or, I can remove the quick link and run a couple of rebar stakes at an angle through the double ring:

J C Conner springs, rings and drags can be bought at his website here. I also recommend his badger digging tool for digging trap beds and holes:

http://www.jcconner.com/tbar.html

Like MB, he makes top notch quality equipment and traps.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Thanks for all the tips guys. Very helpful.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:12 pm
King of Spring

hello, here is a trapping school you can check out. its the untied states trapper ed. i been checking it out. and taking some of the testing. thanks denny

http://trappered.com/

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:25 pm
Profile YIM