View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Trapping?? 
King of Spring

Post Trapping??
Now a days trapping is more a hobby than profitable. Last i looked at fur prices were ridiculously low i was thinking about doing a little bit of trapping this winter but it's mainly to wipe out the predators that harm my turkey population. Has anyone got any idea what fur prices are? I haven't seen in about 6 years.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Trapping??
It changes from year to year and sale to sale. What i tell you now might change a lot by the time you had something to sell. I certainly don't do it for the money but in 20 years me and my brother have been doing it i can't ever remember a year when we didn't at least have a little jingle in our pockets after all expenses were totaled. Some years the extra is enough to buy a new gun and some years it's only enough to go out for a nice meal. If you've never trapped i'd highly recommend it. It would take a substantial investment upfront if you don't own all the equipment involved but you can usually pick up the bare minimum to get you started for fairly cheap at a trappers convention. Google VA trappers and i'm sure it would point you in the right direction. Probably more than you wanted to hear or asked for but that's my take. Find the right avenue to sell your furs and it won't cost you a dime. Take a muskrat for example, some years worth $1.50 some years worth 10 bucks. Do it becasue it's fun. What would the price of a wild turkey be if we totaled the expense involved? On second thought, don't answer that!

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:47 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Trapping??
i think the fur is going to be up this year from what i am gathering from the new trapping store.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 pm
Profile YIM