View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:50 am

strange experience trapping today 
King of Spring

Post strange experience trapping today
I was setting up a new farm today and I was on the corner of the property in a small one acre field punching in a couple sets by some round bales. The road's just up in front of me about 80 yards and a few houses on the property line about 120 yards away. A little close to the public eye but I have permission and it's a good spot and I don't believe any pets are in the area.

I had just start digging when a car pulls out into the field from by the houses and drives straight up to me. I'm thinking oh great I'm about to get an earfull, when a little old lady pulls up and rolls down the window and semi frantic blurts out

"I'm XXXX....have you ever seen a red polecat? I'm being chased by a red polecat!!!"

I look back from where she came and sure enough here comes a big old skunk toward us about as fast as a skunk can go.

Didn't want to pull out the gun and scare her so I asked asked her if she wanted me to shoot it and she said yeah..... By this time the skunk had come to about 60 yards away, turned and was heading up to the tree line. As I approached it stopped and I shot it through the lungs with a .22 short. Dropped without spraying. She thanked me and drove off. I threw the skunk on a roundbale behind my set, hopefully it will bring something in.

It was a large skunk with two large stripes down the side that were sure enough red. I think it must have a den in red clay or something. I will probably pelt it out and get it tanned if it's still there tomorrow.

Definately the weirdest, funniest thing that's ever happened to me on the trap line. Also glad that thing won't be clogging up a set tomorrow :)

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Post Re: strange experience trapping today
Cool! Got any pics? I bet that thing is beautiful. You may want to consider keeping it as some people pay good money for oddities like that.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 pm
King of Spring

Did you ever get any pics of this skunk? I'd like to see it!

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm
King of Spring

Only pic of the skunk is in one of my season catch photos, which I'll post shortly. The red color was from a den in red clay and it washed out. When I put up the hide it was covered with bite marks. Brought .50$ at auction....lol.

I buried the carcass 3' deep and when I was back in the area a month later....something had dug it up...guess the buried skunk set would be a good one after all!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm
Profile WWW