View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 pm

Coyote Down 
Boss Gobbler

Post Coyote Down
Well set out on a deer hunt this eve to get a doe or buck in a food plot we have been seeing deer in. Saw some deer but only shots were at small bucks so we passed. Then all of a sudden we hear coyote howls..then again closer. Saw plenty of deer but they moved off as the yote gets closer....it is now about 100 yards up in the woods and howls loud....cool stuff. I tell my Father in law..I dont have my predator calls. My Bunny Bugle or my Howler are not in my bag...so I wait to see if it will come out.....he howls again this time a bit farther away..so I use the trade secret of the back of my hand to make the noise and after a few seconds he howls again..I do it a few more times and then here it comes..get it on the camera and give FIL the sign he smokes it with the .50 cal at 70 yards...It was a mangy female but pretty heavy...Great to get it out of the population...great hunt we were both pumped and of course the landowner was also....Will post a pic soon and maybe you will get to see it one day on the show...
This is the second day this week I have heard Yotes howling....I guess they are vocal and starting the breeding season....
Oh also the young bucks also went chasing a few does and watched them make a scrape..that was cool too.

Here is a pic of the mangy critter.

Last edited by HODY on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:55 pm
King of Spring

That'll work! Nice job Hody. Cool deal to see the buck making a scrape this late too.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:56 pm
King of Spring

man that was one mangy song dog. I would have planted him in the ground ASAP.

Good job!

How do you make the sound with the back of your hand?

Vic

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm
Boss Gobbler

Vic to be honest all you do is put your lips on your hand like you would kiss it and then suck ..it makes a squeek and squeel sound. Ihave called in foxes like this several times but this is the first youte I have tried it on. It is like a rodent squeek.
A few nights later the landowner was hunting and had them howling again. He used his BTD Yo Yote howler and had them answer like crazy...but they never would commit and come in before dark anyways.
For whatever reason I almost always have my calls but did not that night so when you find yourself with no calls the back of your hand certainly can work.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:29 am
King of Spring

I'd say you put that one out of her misery. Saved her from a painful death this winter at the very least.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:35 am
King of Spring

Good job man.. I had missed this post somehow..

I got one on Trail Cam for the first time ever up here in NOVA this year.. I had never seen one on my property up here, but figured they were around, this confirmed it.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:24 pm
King of Spring

oi . . . not the healthiest looking dog . . . that really does look like a serious case of mange . . . hope you washed up well before loving on the family dog . . .

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:07 pm