View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 am

Coon trapping with the Lil Grizz.... 
King of Spring

Post Coon trapping with the Lil Grizz....
I put my first line out in Bedford for a couple of days over the weekend. Here's some pics.

2 dozen lil griz dog proof coon traps, cleaned up from last year and with a fresh coat of white paint (eye appeal and easier for me to spot). I only ran a little more than a dozen traps this weekend.

The bait goes down in the hole under the trigger, when the coon reaches down and pulls it out, he pulls the trigger and fires the trap. You can see the trigger highlighted in the darkness. I use jack mack for bait.

Here I'm pushing down on the jaw, which is powered by a coil spring....it's surprisingly strong. The dog is laying up against the jaw. Once the jaw is compressed into the trap, the dog will fit into the trigger holding the jaw in place.

This what it looks like after the trap is set.

This is a split ring attached to the swivel at the end of the chain. This what I use to attached the trap to the cable I anchor it with.

Here's a pic of the cable. I loop around a sapling, deadfall or root. I have not yet had a pullout with this simple setup.

This 17 lber, 3-4XL boar is as large as any coon I've caught in Va or NC. He also fought the trap hard, and was plain wore out when I walked up. The Lil Griz held him firm!

First check, 5 coon.

Second check, I had 2, including this beautiful sow.

Fleshed and boarded them last night.

This afternoon I put out my second line, in coastal NC....a dozen lil griz. It's hard to switch back to these coastal flat coated coon after catching the nice well furred Blue Ridge coon!

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

That is some great ratios there Neill, congrats!! Nice job with the pictorial too. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:07 am
King of Spring

Man that last picture takes me back.. Stretching Coon hides.. good stuff.. of course my dad never did trap much.. we used the old Bluetick Hound method :)

How much do you get for a good hide these days? I remember when it was a lucritive enterprise to catch coons getting up to $30 a hide for a good one back in the 80's which was good money back then, but then it got to where it was not paying much and a lot of people quit doing it.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am
King of Spring

The money is up and down.....it cost a lot to run a line so I don't make anything. Last year coon sold well.....just like everything else in the economy I'm sure fur will be down this year.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I agree with WVB. I like the fur on the stretchers picture.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

nell , how much are these and where can i get them, thanks

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 pm
Boss Gobbler

They are usally about $22 apeice. I looked around and several places are out right now. This link does not say if it is in stock or not....

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/lilgrlicotr.html

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Last edited by TScottW99 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

$22 OUCH!!! I could get two good leghold traps for coon for less than that. And could use them for bobcats, coyotes, etc.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 pm
King of Spring

Post Re:
criggster wrote:
$22 OUCH!!! I could get two good leghold traps for coon for less than that. And could use them for bobcats, coyotes, etc.

They're not cheap but they're quality traps and they have their advantages. And good footholds are only a couple bucks cheaper if you buy them with modifications like baseplating, offset jaws, laminated etc. Cheaper immitations from Duke are now available for a lot cheaper....as with anything you get what you pay for.

The lil griz are fast to set and remake....much faster than digging a dirthole, bedding etc.

They hold raccoon very well and you won't have pullouts.

And most obviously, you don't have to worry about non target dogs or other k9s. This is huge for me because I trap near residential areas. And in NC where I live there is no fox trapping, but there are oodles of foxes. If I was running footholds I would probably catch more fox than coons. With these I don't have to bother with them. I have caught two feral cats when using fish bait, but they can be released easy enough with a catch pole. If you don't want to cat cats, use sweet bait like marsh mellows.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Coon trapping with the Lil Grizz....
I read where Duke has come out with a coon trap very similiar to this for around $14. When I read that I thought of this post. Not sure if they are any good or not but a bit cheaper if someone wanted to try this type of trap.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:08 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Post Re: Coon trapping with the Lil Grizz....
Epler Fur has Duke Dog Proofs that are written up as good as Little Griz for 12 for $125.

http://www.eplerfur.com/trap1.html

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:08 pm