View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

A shot at video editing 
Longbeard

Post A shot at video editing
My cousin let me steal his footage from the last day of our New York trip in December. He has been filming for about two years and is making his way toward production quality. I wanted to give the editing process a try and see if I could do his videography justice.

Unfortunately I only have Windows Movie Maker to work with so I wasnt able to get as creative as I would have liked. But I was able to get the basics down and put something together.

A disclaimer: This is more like a "sizzle reel" or a "trailer" style video. I know some people don't like music behind footage, but if I had used the real audio you would have had to listen to my calling, and I didn't want to put anyone through that.

The cousin has a ton more footage of other hunts from the year that he is working with in Adobe Premier. He will put something much better together, but here is another taste of the New York late season.

Hope you enjoy!
Royce

https://vimeo.com/120108054

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: A shot at video editing
Not bad Royce. I for one fall into the category of "I'd rather listen to calling and the birds working" than the music. Some great footage and a TON of birds.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Thanks, Dale!

My cousin truly has a knack for the creative cinematography. He and I are very like minded there, and desire to capture the true essence of the hunt with less use of words (interviews) and more footage (birds, B-roll, shots, bloopers, etc). Anyone can tell a story, but it doesn't show you what really happened and rarely does a hunt like this one justice.

I am with you about hearing the true sounds of the hunt and certainly prefer to hear the birds, calling, shooting and general shenanigans of the experience. Unfortunately, what I was working with was short clips, the longest of which might have been a minute and most of which were 10-15 seconds. I knew I wasn't going to be able to put together a contiguous video, so this is what I came up with. There is a bunch more great footage of that hunt that I wasn't able to include because I wanted to keep it within the parameters of the song time.

Tell you what, though, I had a blast doing this! I might have to take up another hobby (YIKES :shock: ). I'd love to film some turkeys this spring, but don't think I can get my hands on the equipment in time (if I ever do).

Best,
Royce

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:57 pm
King of Spring

I thought it was fantastic. Y'all ever get to the point where you're making a line of videos and need a call sponsor let me know

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:48 am
Longbeard

Thanks, Hendup.

I took a look at your calls (had to go to the Facebook page because your website link wasnt working). Good looking calls and your duck calls sound great!

I don't foresee myself diving too deep into filming as a business as waterfowling is tough enough here in VA without trying to add the challenge of a camera. If my cousin ever looks for someone I can drop your name, though.

Best,
Royce

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:28 pm
King of Spring

Thanks...web site is being rebuilt. I know how hard it is to find good spots in Virginia. Definitely makes it a challenge

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 am
King of Spring

Also....it's no longer blue ribbon wildlife. Check out our page on Facebook under Devil Dog Game Calls. Thanks

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
King of Spring

Great video. Very good selection of music and putting it together. With that said, that piece would be a great trailer, but I am another for the actual sights and sounds of the hunt.

Earl

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:31 pm