View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

De icer is your friend 
King of Spring

Post De icer is your friend
Took my buddy's godson Friday at one of my impoundments with the de-icer going on it .. Killed 5 greenheads , a beautiful hybrid black duck drake and two drake gadwalls ..... Nice hunt with close shooting great for an 11 year old!!

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: De icer is your friend
l have used various modes of de-icing devices for forty years in a small impoundment. Compressed air through vented hose (hose difficult to take up and put out each year, but did keep a nice 40 foot hole open); then two well pumps equipped with trolling motors propellors suspended 50 feet apart on imbedded 4 in wood posts (good open area of 75 foot diameter at ten below zero); but now a Mallard View Ice Eater with a one horsepower Kasco motor and prop…it is the answer. Hole continuously 150 feet long and 120 feet wide for 48 cloudy hours of minus zero temps at night and single digits in day .

If you have private impoundment and can provide generator or direct electric service it will be a dramatic positive asset for your waterfowling

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:30 pm
King of Spring

We use Ice Eaters up here so Ma Nature doesn't haul our peer off to who knows where. Ours looks like a fan blade mounted inside a hub. Is the Mallard one basically the same?

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:02 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Vic- your boat set up sounds like the Kasco set up(they make the motor and prop and plastic bucket type housing). That whole set up is fabricated to fit inside a metal frame with legs (portable) in the Mallard View Outdoors De-Icer.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 pm
King of Spring

Congratulations on a good hunt with a young hunter.

De-icers and all, man you duck hunters have all the play toys. :smt002

Earl

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:55 am
Longbeard

Yes, Earl. And then we have all the ones we don't (and may never) need, too. :mrgreen: :roll:

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:45 pm