View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

Almost time for NY 2014!!! 
Longbeard

Post Almost time for NY 2014!!!
When I lived in the Richmond area I used to do a bit of waterfowling with varying levels of lacking success. What drove me to even try were my experiences in Upstate/Western New York. My cousin is big into waterfowling and got me hooked when my father and I ventured up there to hunt the late season opener for the first time maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

When I say "hooked", I mean it changed my life around and I began a six year obsession with waterfowl. I was going to be a duck biologist. No questions asked. I bought decoys, blinds, gadgets. Tried hunting in Piedmont VA. Didn't do well but always had a little fun and learned something.

Now I live in the Roanoke area and really have no access to waterfowling. I don't know the area well enough and don't have a partner to go with. I know there are opportunities out here, but I just haven't really taken the time to look.

But there is New York. That first trip almost a decade ago became an annual tradition. I live for this expedition. For one, I get to hunt with family. My cousin and I are close, but we see each other twice a year at best. My father hasn't joined me in a couple years, but my buddy goes with me now and we have an incredible time. Then there are the birds. Thousands and thousands of them. Finger lakes that hold every species you can think of.

We get to do some crazy things. Diver spreads with layout boats. Fields full of geese and ducks. Real scouting where you can knock on a farmer's door and more times than not get permission. Its just cool. I have witnessed 20-30,000 duck mornings and regularly see that many geese in a day. I've had 500 geese and 100 ducks work a field spread at the same time. I've hunted geese in the snow where they land on your foot bag. I've frozen my butt off and worked harder than many would to achieve the success that my cousin and his buddies achieve on a regular basis.

My cousin and his buddies are some of the best in the state. They just get it. Two of them are guides and a couple more help them out. They just started filming their hunts. They hosted Field and Clay Hudnall of Field Proven Calls and their crew last March and appeared on their "Abnormal Weather" DVD that just came out. And tonight they just aired on "Cabelas Northern Flight TV": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkTYfqixhrs (Andy is my cousin).

So to say that I am excited about the trip again this year is an understatement. I miss having the opportunities to waterfowl hunt that I did in the Piedmont, but if I can hunt NY for three or four days a year I am a happy camper! I've been told that the Cabela's crew might be there filming while we are up there. Just adds another neat aspect to what is always an awesome trip.

We leave in 8 days!! I can't friggin wait!!!!!!

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:48 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Almost time for NY 2014!!!
Have fun in NY. Many of my area's ducks usually migrate down here from NY and apparently this year the bulk of those birds did not get the memo about when and where they are supposed to migrate.. They must still be in NY. :(

Duck hunting when you are on ducks is great. IT SHOOTING THEN AND NOT HUNTING. :o TAKE SOME PICTURES.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 pm
Longbeard

It is definitely warmer this year than last, but it looks like there will be a cold front going through Christmas day that will drop the temps below freezing for a while. Don't know if that will be enough to send the birds down to good ole Virginny, but it oughta help us while we are up there!

When we are talking about my shooting, it can always be deemed "hunting" :lol: I am hoping to take some video and pictures, and I know that almost everything will be filmed either by my cousin or by the Cabelas crew if they are there. Will definitely let you guys know how we do!!

Just got word that they have a field with over 1,000 geese and 200 ducks using it right now. Not too shabby! Hope they stick around for another week!

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:01 am
Boss Gobbler

Good luck Royce and take plenty of pics :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:43 am
Profile WWW