View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Dog pictures - early season..& late last season 
Jake

Post Dog pictures - early season..& late last season
--

Last edited by SawyerBrowndog on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:05 am
Jake

Post Re: Dog pictures - early season..& late last season
--

Last edited by SawyerBrowndog on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 am
King of Spring

Thats a pretty Boydkin my buddy had a male really smart dogs. We were fishing one time on a big pond and i thought a beaver was swiming up to us and it was his boydkin a good 500-600 yard swim. Good Bird dogs two.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 am
Profile YIM
Jake

Thanks! He's turned out to be a real good looking dog, even though he has different colored eyes.

He is too smart.....

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 am
Longbeard

SawyerBD,
Welcome aboard. Glad you found VAturkey or they found you. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts in the future. Maybe you and pup will get into some fall turkeys this year. Fall turkey hunting with a dog is hard to beat. Your line about a smart dog reminded me what famed bird dog trainer Rick Smith said at one of his training seminars (in Franklin Co. a few years ago actually) and that was. "The worst thing about these dogs is that they're so smart. And the best thing about these dogs is that they're so smart." Have fun and keep the posts rolling in.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:38 am
Jake

We are going to try for some fall turkeys. I have a great area for it on some remote public land. Hopefully the turkeys are still in there like they have been the last few falls..

And Rick Smith was right, this little dog is some kind of smart. Stubborn too...I might "own" him, but he is 'The Boss'. He's pulled the smart card on me a few times, but I have caught on now.

Hopefully we have some time to hunt this fall, there is a baby due in my house Nov 15! :shock: :lol: My wife promises that she won't say a word about us hunting on the weekends! We'll see....

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:40 am
Longbeard

John,
Congrats on the new little one one the way. If it's your first, bank some sleep now. If it's not, you already know this. My wife had our second on Nov. 24th last year. Out of the depths of her big heart I actually managed a decent amount of Saturday morning waterfowl hunts. You will do just fine. Welcome aboard once again.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:58 pm
King of Spring

Good looking pup you've got, and some good hunts. Congrats on the early can, don't see many of them this early.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:24 pm
King of Spring

Great pics! Nice looking dog.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 am
King of Spring

Great pics. Love the Boykins. One of the better turkey dogs I have known. Great family dog and you are right, very smart dogs. I had a female (Jen) wanted nothing more then to please you. Best to you with the fall turkeys, and welcome aboard. And congratulations to you and the wife on your first one.

Earl

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:15 am
King of Spring

Looking forward to more posts in this thread.

Gotta luv a bird dawg.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

Well it's been an eventful fall. Our daughter arrived a week late, Nov 22. Rather than push my luck with my wife, I took some hunting and work time off to be at home and help her get adjusted. What a big change..I couldn't have got up at 3am to hunt even if I wanted to for a couple weeks. Then I was offered a job in Ohio the second week in December. We decided to take the leap of faith, but it didn't pan out for us. We just didn't like the area as much as where we live now. So I came home and we got back to hunting. Its been slow, and I haven't put in the scouting or hunting time I normally do. There isn't much food around though, so not many birds sticking anyhow. We are still managing a few...

-
Pup with a hen surf scoter shot at a Virginia Lake
-
The Hen Surf

-
Long retrieve on a goose

-
'Nother goose - Open water hunt
-
A PUFF drake

-
Our biggest goose - 13lbs

Last edited by SawyerBrowndog on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 am
Jake

Con't.

My apologies for photo quality. I am limited to a Galaxy Note 4 right now as my main camera took a swim. I really need to decide on a new one to capture these moments..

I am really happy about how this dog is turning out. He's been hunting since Dec 7 2014 and is 18 months old now. We are nearing 50 retrieves this season, 16 species. He loved flushing the many woodcock that stayed on my property this fall, and is a dove hunting machine. He still hesitates when it comes to waterfowl hunting, but he gains more confidence each hunt. I think he has poor eyesight and can't see the birds on the water when he is at water level. He's getting it though..

His species:
Black duck
Mallard
Brewers duck (mallardxgadwall)
Gadwall
Green wing teal
Blue wing teal
Shovelor
Pintail
Lesser scaup
Canvasback
Hooded merganser
Surf scoter
Canada goose
Mourning Dove
Gray squirrel
Fox squirrel

As a side note, I've committed myself to using 1 gun while hunting with him. Every animal he has picked up has been taken by a Franchi Affinity, 20 Gauge. We are hoping for some buffleheads, redheads and common mergansers to round out this season.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:50 am
Jake

Some ducks showed up this weekend...Not much camera work going on, especially with hunt time temps in the single digits both mornings.

I got a couple pics of him with a pair of dippers at the end of Saturdays hunt.

This weekend presented him some new challenges, mainly the cold. Saturdays start temp was around 9 degrees. I shot a black duck, wood duck and bufflehead over him. Unfortunately he was not very enthusiastic about fetching the black duck or wood duck in the single digit temps, so I didn't push him to do it. He had no qualms later in the morning once the sun warmed us up about retrieving..

Sunday was even colder and we were going to be in the shade all day. 5 degrees at the launch, and not much warmer by the time the shooting was complete for the morning. He did fetch the first bird, a nice drake hoodie about 10 minutes into the hunt. He was an instant Popsicle once he got back in the boat. We actually needed to fire up the heater to melt the ice so we could dry him. We shot a bunch more birds in a hurry, and since everything was already covered in ice I opted to keep him in the boat rather than have him bring gallons of water with every retrieve. I handled the retrieving duties flawlessly. :lol: Towards the end of our hunt I let him pick up 2 more dippers and chase a crippled black duck along the shoreline. He's got to toughen up a bit yet, but this is his first full season afterall. Our lab was no better with the cold at this stage in her life.

Overall not a bad weekend. It was a good learning experience for both of us.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

very nice pics. nice dog

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 pm