View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Last day out with a bang! 
King of Spring

Post Last day out with a bang!
Hunted spring pond Saturday only open water n 10 miles n the vicinity of duckville. 6 man limit of mallards gadwalls pintails and redheads . Redheads never come to this hole but it was only open hole around. Darn near beaver pond. We were standing outside the blind working dog and they dumped in on us.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Last day out with a bang!
one of best january totals l can ever remember. just takes weather and some open water.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 am
King of Spring

I agree GN! Best duck hunting here in 10 years! We r hunting a new Choc lab pup. manahoic blue wing "Blue". Just 13 mo old. He had a total of 187 retrieves ... 2 double retrieves ..... 112 were in January ....40% were blind retrieves on hand direction and whistle.
Our old dog Bourbon hunted out of retirement for 42 retrieves this year. His hearing is gone but he sights very well!

3 hunts over ice we never hunted the dogs b/c of conditions. But were able to retrieve all ducks ourselves.

I did not use them on annual trips to ocracoke nc. Hunting out of elevated stake blinds and sink boxes on palmico sound. Hunting was fair. Too pretty conditions....saw 4000 pintails ea day and 20 -30,000 redheads ea day. Redheads were moving on the tide and were rafted in bunches 5 to 10 thousand. Took them 20 min to fly over in continuous lines....knots....swarms. Looked like the 2 mile long black bird migrating flocks!

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:20 am
Longbeard

We shot redheads too on the final day in a farm pond where they never really show. We were set up really for geese and the reds dumped into the decoys 15 minutes before legal shooting time. The kept getting up and flying around and once the clock turned we cleaned them up. It was a nice bonus to end the season. Well done.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 am