View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

New to waterfowl hunting and need some help! 
Longbeard

Post New to waterfowl hunting and need some help!
Hey guys,
I live in SW Va and I have been looking for a few good guys to go duck hunitng with this year. I want to learn and be able to take my boys with me every now and then. Its a tough one to just do, not like deer hunting. If anyone would let me tag along and help with spreads and stuff I'd apperciate that. I can more than carry my own weight. I'm a honest hard working outdoorsman, husband and father. Any help would be great.

If we hook up I could possibly offer a trade on some turkey hunting on my 650 acres.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: New to waterfowl hunting and need some help!
Bowkil,
I'm fairly new to waterfowl hunting too, having just started with my fanatic father-in-law a few years ago. From my brief experience waterfowl hunters are generally pretty secretive about their honey holes, but some aren't. Going with someone would be the ideal way to get started, but don't discount buying some decoys of your own along with a call and instructional CD. Lots of information can be found online especially on the DU website. I live in Hampton Roads so I would be no help in taking you. I would scout area farmland with decent-size creeks or rivers running through them with grain or corn growing in fields nearby. Getting permission to waterfowl hunt in typical non-waterfowl areas might not be too hard, especially if you take your kids along. Good luck to you finding a hunting buddy, you may very well on here. Try also http://refugeforums.com/refuge/index.php on the Virginia board to get some direct contact with a greater concentration of waterfowl guys. Keep the questions coming and the true green waterfowl guys on here will steer you right.

-QUACK

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: New to waterfowl hunting and need some help!
I'm in Martinsville. I moved here. So I don't know whats aval for that. From what I have seen very limited water space for ducks, besdies Philpot which is not a duck lake.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 am