View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 pm

Resident Geese 
King of Spring

Post Resident Geese
Did anyone have a good goose season? With the exception of a few good hunts in the early season, my resident season was pretty much a bust. Did manage to get in a hunt or two between snow storms, but seemed like everytime the fields had a bit of green popping up, it'd snow again. Should be plenty to go around next fall!

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Resident Geese
I would call the season average with less than average results. Hunted my last hunt for the 2009/2010 season with TScott on last Monday. We saw HUGE numbers of birds for our area but only managed to take 4 birds. High water levels and SNOW drastically changed our usual hunting areas. Was fortunate enough to have two of our regular hunting crew take 3 banded birds total for the season, a first for our crew.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:15 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Great! and it's always good to give a band or two,where were the geese banded???? We got 8 bands ourselves, but those geese had been banded last year right here in central Va. True residents of the area, I guess.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:29 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

One band from Ohio, One band from WV and One private band from Maryland. First bands collected in 7 or 8 years of waterfowling.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Cool, you guys are starting to get into the geese over on the western side of the state.remember the time when there wasn't all that many! Man, Guess T is still chasing feathers. I remember when he was just starting to duck hunt on the New....all the could kill was a goose or two :smt002 Glad you are starting that prized bling collection :D

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I would call this season pretty lousy on the whole. There were a couple of bright spots: hunted the eastern shore which was absolutely stunningly beautiful, and killed my first banded bird (which Dale alluded to) and that was awesome! But it was mostly a pretty stinky season--not that I have a lifetime of waterfowl hunting to compare to. But most of my hunts were spent staring into empty skies. Seeing birds was the exception, not the rule and killing them was even less frequent. I'm no expert, by any means, but my theory is that the flooded rivers pushed birds out of their patterns, then snow, snow, snow pushed them all the way out of the state. $.02 :smt102

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:59 pm
King of Spring

Come on Ben...any day out makes it a successful season! Plus...you got to hunt with me twice, so that should automatically make it the best season of your life! :P

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:42 am
King of Spring

We had a few good days up in NOVA between the snow storms. Hunted with a buddy a couple of times late season in western Loudoun. We limited with 6 hunters ...I think 3 times......My other hunts were.....3 one morning.....five the next.....none....then 2......etc. Not what it's been.....but we had fun!!!! Hunted once east of I-95. Killed a couple....saw 5000.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:01 pm
King of Spring

hendup wrote:
Come on Ben...any day out makes it a successful season! Plus...you got to hunt with me twice, so that should automatically make it the best season of your life! :P

right, there's that :roll:
:wink: :lol:

Believe me, I'm all about the experience as a whole. Max the Dog, on the other hand, is in it solely for the dead birds in his mouth! I just feel bad for him! :(

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:19 pm