View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 am

Last Week Duckin 
King of Spring

Post Last Week Duckin
Had some time off in the mornings this past week so I took full advantage and did some huntin! Just a few pics from Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Saturday mornings hunts. Hunted Wed and Thurs with a neighbor and him and I and my eye doc on Fri. Hunted by myself in Charlotte County Sat morning. Wed. we ended up with a single limit from my uncles wetland. One of the drakes had a blue bill....very odd! Thursday hunted same place as Wed. we set up better and had better shootin position. Managed 7 and a goose. Our shootin was poor. We saw mallards, black ducks and a pair of widgeon. Probally 100 ducks tried to get in there. Fri. went to a swamp in the northern part of the County. Were greeted with early vollys from a adjacent field 600 yrds away. Ducks in the cornfield! Feedn up b4 the snow. The other hunters shots flaired the only couple of bunches that looked at the swamp. Managed 3 with one banded susie! Fri night I headed down to Charlotte Co. and was awakened Sat morn with 4 in of snow and blizzard conditions. Tredged 1000 yrds to the swamp late at 7:15 with only a mojo. First ducks were woodies at 2ft off the ground coming thru the bull willows. Shot 2 drakes and the third drake circled and sat down in the beaver slough 20 ft in front of me....Had my limit of woodie drakes on the strap as a bunch of geese picked up off the swamp upwind of me and came over at 20yards. Dropped one goose and was thinkin of packin out when a group of 10 or so mallards chattered above. They saw the mojo and dropped in like they were supposed to be there. Shot 2 drakes and packed out with a goose and a limit of ducks! Brutal, brutal conditions....Thick swamp, black water, black mud, deep mud, briers, blizzard, wind, stinging snow, but awesome duckin! Good end of 09-2010 season!

Blue billed Drake Mallard

Jewlery on the Susie
Snowy Swamp Limit Last day

Last edited by TScottW99 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fix pics

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Last Week Duckin
you will not soon forgettha hunt though...that is real duck hunting stuff there....good fun for sure.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:10 pm
Longbeard

Congrats on the jewlery. Sounds like you had a fine last week. I havent seen any woodrows for weeks.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 pm
King of Spring

Awesome end to the season! You gonna mount that blue billed joker?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:10 pm
King of Spring

hendup wrote:
Awesome end to the season! You gonna mount that blue billed joker?

Na....He went in a crock pot.....probally should have......My wife would probally kill me if one more duck mount came in this house. :lol: ........The pic isn't great cause it's off my cell but it had the same coloring and detail as a sprigtail's bill.........Everything else looked....mallard though.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 pm
King of Spring

The banded hen mallard was caught and banded Aug 25 2009 in northern Ontario. Estimated to be 3 years. Harvested 1/23/10. She was a long way from home!

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:06 pm