View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 am

Last day ducks 
King of Spring

Post Last day ducks
With the bad weather coming in tomorrow I decided to end my duck season a day early this year. I decided to check out a swamp I have access to that I haven't hunted all year because it's been frozen for most of the season. I checked on it yesterday afternoon and it was full of geese with a scattering of mallards. This is definately a "bare necessities" hunt since it is about a mile and a half walk through the woods to get to it so I only had 4 mallard dekes and a mojo when my buddy Justin and I headed out this am. When we got to the swamp in the dark it erupted with geese. After setting our huge spread out, a pair of mallards dropped in about 5 minutes before shooting light. They hung around for about 30 seconds but Coal's excitement at having ducks so close soon ruined it and they took off for parts unknown. Shortly after light another pair dropped in and I took the drake and we let the hen go. Then the geese started coming back and after dropping 4 we decided to hold off considering the walk back was going to be bad enough without the extra weight. No more ducks showed, so we called it quits for the year. I might get out for some more goose hunting, but it's going to be awful nice sleeping in tomorrow!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:42 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Last day ducks
Lookn good for the last hunt !!!

:smt006

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:14 am
King of Spring

Congrats Steve on a great last effort. Due to some family obligations, I wasn't planning on hunting the last day of duck. However, here I sit looking out the window waiting on those obligations to be cancelled due to snow so that maybe, just maybe, I can manage to get out one last time for duck. Doubtful it will happen, but the urge to be out there in the snow hunting waterfowl is mighty powerful.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:19 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Great job Steve. Yes those geese can get heavy on those walk in hunts. Too bad you didnt get to play in the white stuff today.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:18 pm
King of Spring

Way to go Steve! The place I hunted the last day was a swamp in Charlotte Co. It takes about a 1000 yard walk thru thick woods and 50 yrds of greenbrier and bull willows along the swamp. I had 4 bunches of geese come over at 20 yards but only shot one cause i knew i had to lug em all out! Great hunt!

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 am
King of Spring

Congrats, man! Not a bad way to end the duck season at all! Glad Coal got some action too!

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 am