View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 pm

Waterfowl season takes a turn for the better... 
Boss Gobbler

Post Waterfowl season takes a turn for the better...
With so much water froze, or too high, or to this, or too that, we finally got out for a few hunts.

On Saturday, Dale, Hunter and I headed out to a spot on a river to try and get Hunter a crack at a goose or duck. We had several birds work in and just didn't get thing situated right to get Hunter a shot. Finally, a group worked in and Hunter got a shot, but as happens to all of us, didn't connect. Dale and I jumped up to try and get a couple before they got away and managed to knock down a single goose. He got in the current and about got away from us but we manged to track him down the river and get him. When I pulled him over the side of the boat Dale's jaw dropped and he started freaking out just a little. There, on the goose leg was a band...

That was the end of the action for that day.

We were planning on heading back to the river on Monday but the water levels were getting crazy so we decided to just try a new spot and see what we could scratch out. We got at the boat landing about daylight since we weren't exactly sure where we were going and started seeing a few ducks and hearing some geese. Right after the first daylight flight we got setup and had a single greenhead drop in and he paid the price. Later in the morning, while Dale was out adjusted the decoys, we had a single goose call and he came right in and locked up in the spread. I shot and he hit the water. Dale headed out to retrieve and said "You ain't gonna believe this!". Yep, another band!

Goose #1 was banded in WV in July of 2009 and goose #2 was banded in OH in June of 2008.

Numbers are still down from what we normally do but the extra jewelry has made up for it the last couple hunts... :) Thanks to Dale and Hunter (our lucky charm!) :D

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Waterfowl season takes a turn for the better...
Way to go guys!

Congrats on the jewelry Freddy! :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrads!!Never did much wf hunting and tell you the truth don't see no one around here waterfowl hunting (i did see Tburt one day) but most farmers really hate the geese! Is there alot of waterfowl hunters up your way Freddy or Dale?

Doug

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:09 pm
Longbeard

Congrats Guys! Sounds like you have found your lucky charm. Its funny how a shiny piece of metal can make slow hunt great and put a smile to your face. :D

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:14 pm
Longbeard

Way to go guys!

2gbl

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:43 pm
King of Spring

Been waterfowl hunting hard for about 5 or 6 years now. Really just wanted to be part of a hunt that resulted in jewelry. Being the "retriever", it's something I always look for but had given up hope on seeing here in SW Va. To be on two hunts back to back that resulted in jewelry, well, nothing short of a miracle. Freddy forgets to add that the first two geese shot with his new gun, both had jewelry.

Doug...we have a "fair" amount of waterfowl within 100 miles of Roanoke. A few spots on the New, a few spots on the James and some of the local lakes. If we can scratch out 4 or 5 birds, be them ducks or geese, it's a good hunt. Definately not on a flyway that is for sure.

Congrats Freddy on two bands.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:17 am
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Dale...at least get him to flip a coin with you you for the band? hahahha ---- Famous quote from one who knows; "man with best dog gets the band"

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 pm
2 Year Old

Nice work! I've been duckhuntin for near 20 years, not emphatically, but routinely. My main waterfowl buddy has the goose fever bad, for years. I have shot a few geese, even went on a dedicated goose hunt a few times, mainly just incidentals while hunting ducks. well, a few weeks ago I shot my first banded goose. I've shot a few ducks with jewelry but this was my first goose. It was a great feeling. We were in layout blinds and two landed to my left, I was on the end. When 20 more came in I was asked to shoot the two to my left when they called the shot. First time in a layout blind and when they called the shot and everyone opened their blinds the two geese to my left were getting up quick. The 870 barked twice and both flopped down from 15 foot high. My buddy looked over after shooting his birds and asked if I got em. "I did" I said. "you just shot your first banded goose then."..he said. He swears he noticed the jewelery when they lit in the decoys. My one goose band looks sparse on the lanyard compared to the 30 on his, but hey, I got one. But TWO on two consecutive hunts, nice work Freddy.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm
King of Spring

Been absent for a bit here . . . having a kid takes a lot of time. And it's absolutely worth it!! Anyway, congratulations again on some crazy good luck and scoring two of something I don't have any of. And on back to back hunts? Completely insane . . . only Freddy!! Nice work, my friend! :D

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 am