View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:33 am

Great Bay Babe. Bay comes home. 
King of Spring

Post Great Bay Babe. Bay comes home.
There has been a development behind the scene. Seems my friend and deer hunting partner's black lab Clouie had 6 puppies Friday. Two black, two yellow and two chocolate pups.

I know Clouie and the past 4 generations of these dogs. Although none have been hunted all the generations have had the best temperament. They are easy to teach and fast to learn.

So before consulting with my significant other, the words bled out of my mouth, "I'll take a yellow female."

It has been eating at me that I didn't consult my partner so last night I spilled the beans.

She was not happy. The mud room is my soon to be new home. I tried all the stories guys helped me with but in the end it came down to "I got a dog. Gotta love me."

It helped that after I broke the news I headed out for an all night fishing trip. At least the locks worked when I got home.

So now we are on an eight week countdown till Great Bay Babe alias "Bay" comes home.

In the mean time I gotta get the mud room heated. It could be a long winter. :lol:

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Last edited by Coalman on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Great Bay Babe
Good thing you are aclimated to the cold. Then again, the puppy will help keep you warm out there.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

LOL, I would say the all night fishing trip turned the tide alright,,,,hilarious...

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:50 am
Longbeard

Coal Man,

I'd say the lab puppy will turn the tide with no problem. My wife was never a dog person. Being an avid waterfowler I had a lab when I met her. She complained about the dog, but really deep inside she loved him. What she could not, and still can't figure is that a dog has one and only one master. It never set well that she could beg and plead for the dog to do something and I could make it happen with a sideways glance. When the time came (one year tomorrow) for him to take his place in the "Big blind" She spent an hour making sure his grave site was just so so and planted carefully with the flowers he loved so much to pee on. Our youngest went away to school in late August and one evening she deemed the house "absolutely too quiet". Our first trip to visit Rachel at school required a side trip to Whiskey Creek Chesapeakes. The result was "Whiskey Creek's firewater Jasmin" Jazz will be a year old the 28th of this month and is the darling of my wife's eye and mine too. I am beside myself waiting for the first opportunity to splash some feathers for her. The point to all of this is there is never a day that goes by that my wife does not lament how much she loves her "Chessie Dog". Still she has only one master. Coal Man you will be fine.

2gbl

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:19 am
King of Spring

Heart felt story DBLGBL.

I am still in the dog house. I try and make small talk about the dog and have yet to see a smile.

I haven't had a puppy in 13 years. And that was a kenneled hunting beagle. I am out of practice on motherhood and I am afraid I am not going to get any help at first from the misses.

That is OK with me. I had an English Springer before I met my wife. That dog was my right hand. I am going to put as much time in with the Yellow as I did with the Springer.

I can't wait to have a buddy to go scout spring turkey with. To climb the mountains with. To ride in my truck and "look for the birds". To see the first brood we flush in the fall. Watch her retrieve her first wood duck.

It has been a long time since I had a canine hunting buddy and friend.

I want what Peacemaker has. :D

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Caint beat a good dog!!!!!!!! :lol:

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:29 am
Longbeard

Coalman,

Another example of she'll come around. Lab Puppies are almost equal to babies when it comes to warming the heart of the fairer sex. I used to be in the business of making money for DU. One of the most devious schemes I ever pulled off was the sale of a lab puppy in a womens only auction. All the women were called to the front of the auditorium. (They didn't know why) and out comes a girls carrying an 8 week old chocolate lab puppy. Let the bidding begin. The only rule was they could not look back at their husbands. Have you ever seen two women in a bidding war? DU made many, many thousands on that little puppy. Small wonder I didn't get shot but the check cleared. Not to worry you will be fine. Every man deserves one good dog and fortunately I've had a bunch.

2gbl

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:52 pm
Longbeard

good luck with the pup coalman! nothing like a good loyal hunting buddy!

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 pm
King of Spring

Yikes Coalman! I think we're all interested to see how this pans out with your significant other there . . . Dbl is right, lab pups rank with babies in bringing out some love in a woman. My guess is that once she spends a little bit of time with that pup, she'll come around. I still wouldn't have done it the Coalman way!! :lol:

My wife still has moments where she gets less than enthused about Max the Dog shedding in the house. And frankly, I can't stand hairball tumbleweed myself. But I'm hopelessly in love with the dog and she . . . well, she is too honestly. Just not with the hair. Now, if Max the Dog happened to be a poorly behaved, uncontrolled, hyper freak who ate things off the counter and tore up furniture, this would be a very different scenario!!

There is nothing quite like the companionship of a good dog. I've already told my wife that I don't ever want to be without a Lab for the rest of my life. Max will always be the best I think. Even if one performs better one day. :wink: Good luck! You definitely have to keep us posted on this!!

And oh yeah . . . congratulations!!!

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:45 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Great Bay Babe (Litter Picture)
I showed Karen this picture and saw a hint of a smile. :D

Stopped by to see Clouie and the puppies today. Maggie took Clouie out for a pit stop so I could get a picture of the litter.

She had three sets of twins, There is a male and female of each pair. Bay is the yellow at the top.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

wow . . . :smt005 Those are some absurdly adorable little lumps!!

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 pm
King of Spring

Coal,
As many previous have said, it will only be a matter of time before she claims her as "her" lab. Good luk and keep us posted - I want to hear how this one goes.

I am like Ben, won't ever be without one again. I too could do without the "hairball tumbleweed", but hey, what the heck - life's too short to get your panties all in a bunch over a little hair...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:50 pm
King of Spring

Coal, great looking pups.
Bring back memories.

My wife was the same way when I got my first. " Oak"
"I am not going to have anything to do with this dog"
Yea right, When we picked him up she was not a happy camper, not to mention I picked the biggest one in the bunch.
When we got in the truck I sat him in her lap and she melted, still mad mind you, but in love with this big ball of black fur.
It was the same with Sadie and our newest addiction Dixie has won her over more then the first two.

Good luck bud , Wives are the greatest got to love em.

Tim

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:14 am
King of Spring

Post D-Day. The misses is coming around
I got an unsolicited email at work this week from my wife. She didn't want to buy anything. She just wanted me to see the picture.

September 23 is D-Day. That is dog day. I can't wait. :D

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

C-man,
I love yellow labs, great pick!
In that email your wife didn't mention that you might need to get one of those beds for yourself did she? :wink:
Seriously, sounds like she is coming around already.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:06 pm