View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 am

Cold Fun Day On The River 
King of Spring

Post Cold Fun Day On The River
Wednesday I was able to get away from work for what was likely my last goose hunt before the season closes on 02/14/09. Most of the usual suspects were sick, working or had prior commitments. Part of me said waterfowl hunts are by their nature a social hunt so be sensible and go on into work anyway. The other part of me said if you don't go, even if alone, then your waterfowl season is over. On my last hunt, not a goose was spotted. I didn't want to end the season in such a fashion. So, I loaded up the canoe and was on the river shortly before daylight. My destination was the upstream tip of an island where geese like to loaf mid-morning. While putting out the decoys in the growing light, I heard several goose honks downstream where they like to roost. I also saw several flights of ducks and just by nature started feeling more urgent to complete my decoy placement thinking I was late. Canoe hidden, tucked in a pile of river debris, I began the morning. By 10:30 a.m., I had my limit of 5 geese. I couldn't have asked for a better hunt, unless of course it would have been sharing it with the crew. The geese came in flights of 2- 5 birds about every 30 - 45 minutes. With the exception of the 3rd flight of the morning, all flights locked and headed right for the hole in the spread. All birds were killed at 15 yards or less, just the way I like it. No pass shooting this day! I killed 2 of the 3 birds in the first flight. I killed 2 of 2 birds in the second flight. The 3rd flght landed 100 yards out in the middle and swam to the opposite bank. We had a clucking conversation for about 10 minutes and then they swam out and flew upriver to join a growing flock I had been watching. Shortly after, a pair flew right into the hole and I took the biggest of the two. Was a lonely, cold and exciting day on the river. Guess my season was meant to end on a high note.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:21 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Congrats Dale!! Yes, waterfowling is a social sport to be sure. But, just like a solo turkey kill, there's something sweet about being alone too. Just don't get used to it! :wink:

Excellent work!!

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:56 am
Boss Gobbler

Congrats Dale!! Good pic and sounds like fun!

I see you had a goose that would not die?? :wink:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Isn't there always one TScott. This one particular goose, and as TScott with his awesome power of observation (a good skill to have as a police officer I might add) has noticed, did the reincarnation act in full force. It was goose number four. Second flight. Two come in, none leave. Both stone cold dead. Did my best retrieves of the year (eat your heart out Max the dog) and had settled back in. About 5 minutes pass and I look over to admire the growing pile of geese next to me thinking what a special hunt this is turning out to be, when what do I see but a goose with its head up on top of the pile. When my eyes met that goose's eyes, he tried to take flight. I got smacked several times by wings and even got kicked trying to get ahold of the neck (good thing they don't have spurs). What a sight that must have been. When I got 'er in the death grip, I put a rock to the head and well, it got messy and ugly. Darn geese are the toughest living creature I know. Folks, both of these geese were feet up in the water and no movement whatsoever. Reincarnation I tell ya.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Awesome hunt, Dale! Seems that sometimes the best hunts happen when you wish there were others around to share it with you. Great way to close out your season!

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

close and effective..best kind of shooting..I find it amazing how much better you shoot on a waterfowl hunt when you are by yourself. dangerous to be hunting by yourself (but you already know all of that) but you do shoot a LOT better when you call your own shots. IMO anyway. Nice report/

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:30 pm
King of Spring

Limiting out by yourself on the last hunt of the season. There's a sweet satifaction in that for sure. Great way to end your season. Congratulations!

BTW - no one can ever say you're soft....daylight yesterday was one of the coldest mornings we've had in a long time. :shock:

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:40 pm
King of Spring

Congrads Dale!! Looks like you had a great day of hunting plus by the picture it looks like you are a bit chilly :lol:

Doug

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:14 pm
King of Spring

nicely done!

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:34 pm
King of Spring

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 pm
King of Spring

You are absolutely right GN about my shooting odds when I hunt alone. Then again, when you hunt with Freddy/David/Scott/Ben their shooting abilities far outweigh mine and their quickness is well, legendary. I really, really enjoy the up close and decoying waterfowl type of hunt. When you hide well and setup where they want to be, why accept anything else. To me, very much like a turkey hunt...

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:20 am
Profile YIM
Poult

Congrats Dale, you deserve such a great closer. You let us take most of the shots when I got to go with you; guess it proves you reap what you sew... looks like you did some very sweet reaping! I look forward to getting out with you, Hunter, Ben and Max the Dog again next season. :lol:

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Boss Gobbler

Great job Dale...did you yell Duck to yourself....lol

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 pm
Jake

Isn't there always one TScott. This one particular goose, and as TScott with his awesome power of observation (a good skill to have as a police officer I might add) has noticed, did the reincarnation act in full force. It was goose number four. Second flight. Two come in, none leave. Both stone cold dead. Did my best retrieves of the year (eat your heart out Max the dog) and had settled back in. About 5 minutes pass and I look over to admire the growing pile of geese next to me thinking what a special hunt this is turning out to be, when what do I see but a goose with its head up on top of the pile. When my eyes met that goose's eyes, he tried to take flight. I got smacked several times by wings and even got kicked trying to get ahold of the neck (good thing they don't have spurs). What a sight that must have been. When I got 'er in the death grip, I put a rock to the head and well, it got messy and ugly. Darn geese are the toughest living creature I know. Folks, both of these geese were feet up in the water and no movement whatsoever. Reincarnation I tell ya.

guess you could call that a wild "goose" chase HA HA HA

Nugent replied, "Deer aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, 'What am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French."

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:10 am