View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:08 pm

Poppie's Ducks -- Story 
King of Spring

Post Poppie's Ducks -- Story
It was sometime after 5am when my truck rounded a bend in hwy 460 and I stopped breathing. Time slowed as I struggled to cope with what I saw. The bright full moon was halfway down the sky, thin clouds shimmering in its light. The western sky glowed a heavenly silvery blue behind the whisper-soft silhouette of towering Sharp Top's peak and the lesser hills bowing before it. Chills ran over my skin. I was stunned. Today would be a special day.

A great man known by many as “Poppieâ€

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:15 am
Boss Gobbler

Ben your story was truely amazing. You never cease to amaze me with your talents from the keyboard. You have a gift of writing. I think we need to make sure that you publish a monthily story on the board to give us all something to read. your stories inspire, sadden, and make us smile. Not everyoe can appreciate your stories as they can not understand our passion. I am certain that all the members of this board that read it will be impressed. GREAT JOB.....Truely Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

PS Ben or Dale did you get to learn the second meaning of the word Duck on this day? LOL

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 am
King of Spring

Moving...very moving. Thanks for putting into works Ben those things that I feel and cannot seem to get out correctly. Folks, Poppie was definately with us that morning.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:27 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Great story Ben. The camaraderie in hunting really is amazing. It sounds like Poppie was a great man, and that he was definitely with you guys on this hunt.

Ryan

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:05 pm
Longbeard

Words from me can not express the gratitude I have for you in this story. To experience a loss is something that is always devastating to the indicidual and to the ones who surrond them; however we always find joy in the comfort of our close friends and fellowship in this God Breathed planet. I thank you from the bottom of my heart fo rthis trully inspiring story and look forward wth great anticipation to the stories that lie ahead. Freddy although I barely know you and Amy my heartfelt preayers have been with you and your family. May God continue to bless you all as he has. Hopefully one day we all can connect on a hunt. Until thenmay the grace and peace of our Lord be with you and your family.

"Women are the most curious of all the animal critters in the world. I recon there ain't a varmit loose in the woods or water that takes as much figgerin' with no real answer"- THE OLD MAN and THE BOY- Robert Ruark

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

excellent report and I feel like I was there ...heck, I was there....

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 pm
Boss Gobbler

Ben you sure have a way with words. An excellent story from an excellent hunt with friends!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Ben, as usual :smt023 another great story!!!
Thanks,

Barry

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:14 pm
King of Spring

Geez Ben....I wish you would learn how to tell a story!

When you finally write that book you better save me an autographed copy. Your writing is equivelent only to Econo's pictures! Awesome story on an awesome experience.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:21 pm
King of Spring

Ben's writing....Econo's pictures....That will stay on the Best Seller list for a LONG time.
BB

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:25 pm
King of Spring

Ben you sure do have a way with words!! Great story

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm
King of Spring

All I can say Ben is YOU ARE THE MAN!.. You think about what I told you.

Max

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:35 am
King of Spring

Great account Ben and beautiful words!!!.............. This forum and these friends are lucky!

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:31 am