View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:38 am

Dads and Sons Waterfowl Fun 01/01/09 
King of Spring

Post Dads and Sons Waterfowl Fun 01/01/09
On New Year's Day, I was fortunate enough to start the new year on a Father and Son waterfowl hunt with a twist. Peacemaker (Ben) and his father Roger joined me and my son Hunter on a New River hunt. Ben's treasured dog Max was also along for the ride. The day started with a boat launch temperature of 8 degrees. This was Hunter's first morning winter waterfowl hunt. He was a real trooper after being woke up at 3:30 a.m. After a challenging float to our destination, we were set up in our hole right at legal shooting light. We saw a small number of ducks and alot of geese, common for this hole. I think we all had a great time and the picture tells the story.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Looks like yall had fun, Great Pic. That Max sure is photogenic

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

hope you had some heat for the younster..eight degrees is COLD on any river..loks like a fun day ...

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:46 pm
Boss Gobbler

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:48 pm
King of Spring

Simply unforgettable! I'm learning that there's nothing like waterfowling for spending quality time with people on the hunt. What a great day! Little Hunter was a tough guy indeed . . . and a lot of fun to have in the blind. He only complained about his toes going numb once. :wink: :lol:

This was my dad's first waterfowl hunt where birds were killed. I took him out the day before and there were shots fired, but no birds in hand. I know he had a great time. Max the Dog's intensity is mushrooming . . . I'm not sure when/if he'll hit a ceiling on it . . . this is both good and bad . . . :oops: :lol:

Dale deserves a special thanks for letting me, my dad, and my dog take up a considerable part of his blind for the day . . . and for sharing a hard-earned waterfowl hotspot. Dale is a rare soul who I'm humbled to know. Thanks man!! Dad and I will always remember New Year's Day '09!!

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:36 pm
King of Spring

Way to go guys! Glad you made it out with all your fingers and toes 8) brrrrrr! That little fella is a tough nut.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:30 am
Boss Gobbler

WooHoo! Congrats guys! Hunter is one tough little man! :D

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Poult

What an amazing adventure! It was my great privilege to be invited along. I don’t think I ever hunted in 8 degrees before, or have had to shove ice sheets out of the way so the birds could land! Dale, thanks for the opportunity to go, and to harvest a few birds was just a bonus. Hunter did great, and I don’t think he was as cold as I was, but of course I didn’t have my “game-boyâ€

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:43 pm