View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:34 am

A Holiday to remember 
Longbeard

Post A Holiday to remember
So I just wanted to share today's hunt that I had with my dad and my brother. I am no where near as eloquent as Ben or as Knowledgable as GN, Hody, Steve or Freddy, however after many years of dabling in the sport and putting it aside for Cross Country and college I can say I have been hooked with the bug and mesmorized by the great beauty that our heavanly father has created.

This morning started out a little different than normal. I was suppose to pick my brother and dad up at 6 and we were heading out about an hours drive. I woke up extra early to make sure I had everything and was on time because I know how anal my dad can be when it comes to punctuality. We didn't really have in mind what we wanted to hunt, more the less we were just going to revisit an old spot that several years ago carried quite a few quail and I was able to get my first game ever! I still have that picture when I was in 2nd grade with my 20ga and chubby cheeks clutching my little partridge prize. Further more my brother got his first duck right around the corner on the same property in a small lake. Driving out was probably the most fun because we haven't spent time together father and sons in a while.(well at least not like this) :wink: when we got to our spot we were dismayed to find that every field that we all knew to house these peculiar little birds had been cut and turned more or less into hay fields that were cut so low we could see clear across them. We loaded up and I had a problem with my new christmas present. my third shell would not load. I dissasembled and checked everything and it still would not load. I could not figure out the problem. I decided rather than not go with out I would jsut carry two shells and have a good time. We walked down to the lake where my brother got his first duck and it was as smooth as glass. nothing out there and no promises. we then decided to back track a little and check out soem far back fields that we were sure had not changed. WE were wrong. we got to the end of the road and they were jsut like the fields we pulled into. mowed short as far as teh eye can see. It was then we had to make a decision. go back or head down and just walk in the woods. we eventually would have gotten to a small river that passes through the property. We decided to head down and just check out the bottom. we seperated and walked some what into a line on the way down. I was about 100 yards to thw right of every one when all of a sudden I had a flush and a high pitch sqeal in a percusionate rythem. WOODCOCK!!! I have never seen this bird nor heard it but I felt so alive at this moment. Lesson numebr one. Alwasy be prepared. my gun was not in an easy position to shoulder and by the time I shouldered the bird was out of range. WE pressed on with the others not knowing my discovery yet. when we finally met up I discovered they had flushed one as well. we decided to walk the river bottom jsut to see if we may be able to see anything else. we were buzzed with excitement at the potential that this treasure chest may hold. The conditions were beautiful. Not too hot not too cold 6 inchs of water in patches surrounded by wild grasses. We reached the edge of the poperty and pivoted on my brother. Walking back I kicked up another one. I beaded him and pulled the trigger. Nothing. Not even a click. I was duimb founded. I watched the bird sail 50 yards and land. some what in a mocking way! They way he flew was so graceful and seeing his brilliant camoflage backflutter up was an image i will not soon forget. I checked my gun and discovered that because of the bolt action on an 11-87 being so heavy I can not manually lower my bolt so as no not creat a lot of noise. I have to depress the button on the bottom. once this happens I could load 3 shells easy. LEsson number two! I know this is getting long so I will go ahead and wrap up. I relocated that wood cock and he is now sitting in my freazer ready to be cooked. HE is such a beautiful bird. We flushed probably 5 or 6 more birds this morning. I stepped back because I wanted my brother to get the thrill of bringing one home. at about 12:30 we finally hauled ourselves out of the woods and called it quits. Probably the most memorable hunt of father sons I can recall. Every one for the first time was able to get off at least a shot. The birds flushed beautifully. All I wish is that we would have had a dog with us because I could feel there were a lot more birds down there than we knew about. Today was a memory that I will not soon forget! Also I jsut want to thank all you guys on her efor your stories and wisdom. I am definately hooked and can't wait to learn more from each and every one of you. Good luck with the rest of the season and see yall in 2009.

Joshua

"Women are the most curious of all the animal critters in the world. I recon there ain't a varmit loose in the woods or water that takes as much figgerin' with no real answer"- THE OLD MAN and THE BOY- Robert Ruark

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:06 pm
King of Spring

Glad you had a good hunt. family hunts are alot of fun. I took my dog (setter) for a run this afternoon found two coveys of birds in a place so thick you could not get to the points. finally left them alone and strolled up the creek, had 5 pointed and I stepped on two other woodcock, killed a couple for the dog, great fun and really saved my afternoon.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:27 am
King of Spring

Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:21 am
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

good for you. I can never remmeebr when the local WC seasons come in and out so am hesitant to shoot them locally. Excellent eating if meat is removed from breat, wrapped in a bacon piece with toothpicks and cooked on a charcoal or gas grill to medium rare(legs are white meat and are good too, cooked this way). If you do not like dark meat of game birds this recipe is sort of a save the day thing; do not cook the birds too long and them eat should be medium rare to keep it moist.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:45 pm