View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:47 am

Honker music 
King of Spring

Post Honker music
We have a waterfowl roost not to far away. We can hear the geese come in at night. I could fill a limit from my roof each morning they fly over so low.
I have been watching the roost for a month. Tonight there were some large groups of ducks that twisted and turned down from a high altitude. That tells me the fall migration is beginning.
Most local birds come in tree top. Tonight they came out of the sky.
Large groups. Some flocks had thirty ducks.

But the real music is the last to show. Turn it up.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Gotta love it. Love to listen to geese talk.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I was watching a documentary on Caribou the other night. (yes, I'm a dork!) They migrate far above the arctic circle, where the winter night lasts for MONTHS. The film crew began filming in the spring when there was light again. Deep in the wildest land left on earth, thousands of miles north of Virginia, as the snow softened on top of the permafrost and the Caribou herd scratched the snow to find edible lichens underneath, I heard in the background . . . honking Canada Geese. The very same birds that will sail through our skies in a few weeks. What incredible animals!!

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:43 am
Longbeard

I have to say I was traveling with my manager the other day and I don't think he got it. But at this time of year I always find it funny when geese travel north. I know they may have a reason for doing it but I still find it funny. I probably counted 200 or so coming ou tof the james river east of the city. Beatuful sight while driving south on 95 that I am sure half the world didn't even take note to appreciate. Thank you Freddy for giving us a place to Appreciate teh small things in this world

"Women are the most curious of all the animal critters in the world. I recon there ain't a varmit loose in the woods or water that takes as much figgerin' with no real answer"- THE OLD MAN and THE BOY- Robert Ruark

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:09 am