View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 9:44 am

Cold Morning 
King of Spring

Post Cold Morning
When we left this morning it was 22 deg. with a 16 mph Northeast wind. Miserable day but had a great time anyway.

My boss, Rodney, on the left with one of his clients named Lynn on the right.

Lynn with his Oldsquaw for the taxidermist.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:52 pm
Longbeard

Looks cold in picture. Thats a good looking squaw should make a nice mount. Getting one for the wall makes toughing out the cold worth while.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm
King of Spring

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:02 pm
King of Spring

Nice hunt. Was out on Friday for a full day hunt on the new. Managed 3 geese and a pair of mallards for the boat. Had to push ice out of the hole 3 times in the morning. Must have seen 300 geese and 200 ducks. Never really felt cold, but I'm sure it was.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:06 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Beautiful oldsquaw, couple of buffs and looks like a nice diver in there too. Good morning, but cold ....very cold. Hunted the Rapp below Fred'burg Fri AM, managed several black heads and 2 canvasbacks.
Went down to Charlotte Co Fri night and hunted my turkey lease along the thickest swamp in 3 counties. Everything was frozen up but we walked about a mile of it before we heard the tell tale wistles, quacks, rolling chatter of feeding green heads and woodies in some open beaver sloughs where the swamp was open and about 400 yrds wide. Wanted to flush them to get a good afternoon/late eve. hunt. Left my 3 buddies along the swamp and I walked up 200 yards and made my way back thru to them....Probally jumped 200 ducks.....woodies, green heads, black ducks all in a 150 yard stretch. Set up where they were feeding at 2pm. We had great shootin until sunset....Actually the best shoot I've seen in 15 years. The sloughs were extremely tight with 10 foot willows so I only took 4 dekes and 2 mojos in a back pack. We could have gotten by w/ the mojos alone and just kicking the water w/ our boots. Just the movement got them to come in. Managed almost 4 limits consisting of green heads, black ducks, woodies, 2 gadwalls and a sprig pintail....Never killed any pintails or gadwalls there! The harder freeze the week before must have had them mixed up. After we picked up and tried to get out before pitch black, another 100 ducks fell in on us, I mean litteraly on us! I was crossing a 4ft wide slough that was chest deep and had ducks landing 5-10 ft from us on either side.....all in all despite 3 out of 4 torn waders, bloody from briars and wet & smelling of black swamp....it was a great hunt with my 3 best friends....couldn't have been better! and the great way to end the duck season! The only thing better was to have one of us with a camera......all of us left home w nye a camera...
mje[/u]

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:42 pm
King of Spring

Can't beat the hunting when you can find an open hole in the ice! Sounds like a great time. Congrats on the Sprig!

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 pm
King of Spring

Yeah, The sprig was a supprise. My cousin and I shoot alot of pintails on the reef behind Ocracoke Is., NC ( usually 5-8 thousand winter there from Hatteras down to Ocracoke) ...that is our staple there, along with redheads and brant........... but it's pretty rare see them in the peidmont....Goose hunted with some guys yesterday morning that told me they were duck hunting the last week in Fauquier Co. near Warrenton and killed 3 mixed in w/ some mallards. Drove by a lake yesterday in Fauquier where there is typically a large variety ducks and put the spotting scope on the lake there were 2 pair of pintails with some mallards. Also got a pond on a farm near mine in southern Fauquier that has some Northern Shovelers.....They've been comming back to the same 2 ponds for about 4 years now...about 20 or so....they just stay there until march and then head north.....First ones I've ever seen..Pretty rare for this area....They are on a pond of a Mennonite friend of mine's grandfather, and he dosen't let anyone shoot his pond cause it's too close to his house...About 3 weeks ago my buddy brought a beautiful green head drake shoveler by for me too see.....said his grandpa had gone to town for a few hours............. :)

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:20 am