View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:52 am

one for the hunters 
King of Spring

Post one for the hunters
Found this article to bring me great joy when I read it.
This was in todays outdoor report by VDGIF
I didn't know this was possible :lol:

Lawful Hunters Harassed by Anti-Hunter's Unlawful Antics... On October 6, 2007 while hunting, two waterfowl hunters were confronted by an irate adjacent landowner in James City County. Whenever ducks flew over the hunting location, the landowner would make noise and wave a kayak paddle in the air or slap it on the water. As a result of a complaint from the hunters, Officer Krista Myers got the details of the incident and obtained a warrant for the charge of "impeding a lawful hunt." A combination of case preparation by Officer Myers, rational testimony by the hunters and supportive prosecution by the Commonwealth Attorney lead to the conviction of the landowner on January 8, 2008, in General District Court.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:14 pm
King of Spring

Post one for the hunters
I had a very similar incident happen one morning seceral years ago while spring gobbler hunting. I was on land that I had permission to hunt and was actually working some turkeys when I heard a truck come up the gravel road that I had entered on. Soon after here comes a man walking toward me on the old logging road I was set up on. It was the owner of the land bordering the land I was on. He asked me what I was doing, I said I was turkey hunting. He said "You're trying to kill one of my turkeys aren't you?" I told him if a turkey that was on his land happened to come in to my call then yes I was going to try to kill it.
My brother was with me and some heated words were exchanged. As we were leaving I told the man that I hoped he was happy since he had ruined a hunt for a man in wheelchair.
I told a game warden friend of mine what had happened and he wanted me to go back to the same spot hunting again and he said he would sit with me and if the man interupted my hunt again he would write him up.
I gave the idea some thought but decided not to waste a day of my hunting time doing so.
Several weeks later that same man called me and apologized for what he had done, he even told me that I could hunt his place. I never went hunting on his land nor have I spoken with that man since. I just don't trust someone like that.
BUT...it is nice to know that the game department will take the side of a hunter in situations like this.

barry

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:59 pm
Boss Gobbler

I had it happen last year during bow season. Started out in one spot in the National Forest and had a hunter come in on me and climb a tree within 100 yards. I left and headed to another spot. Got there and was walking through the National Forest and across a mountain bike trail toward a finger ridge. Two older men coming down the trail saw me and started yelling at me. I kept walking and they stopped and started to yell in my direction louder. I finally figured out that God was telling me to go home that it was not my day to hunt :evil:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

It happened to me as well one opening morning of spring season. The neighboring landowner was actually a leasee for cattle. Resulted in the loss of his lease.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:56 pm
King of Spring

Had the same thing happen goose huntin 4 years ago. An adjacent land owner who had a large pond that he fed the geese and ducks on, harassed myself and 2 buddies and actually physically assaulted one of them. We were huntin a large corn field that I leased to farm and hunt...and yes .....we were a half a mile from were he fed at the pond!.......anyway, the guy came over on my Aunts property yelling and telling us not to shoot his geese! We tried to pay him no mind. He said he was gonna call the cops ...so I said ok. At the same time...I called our county warden on his cell...& luckily he was only about 2 miles from us....While we waited a bunch of geese came in....even with the guy in the field about 150 yards from us. I told the boys to open up and they killed 4. The guy came running over and started kicking my buddy in his layout blind.......All said , the game warden had gotten there when we shot the geese and had watched the whole event from a nearby hill........needless to say the same happened to this guy as the post above as well as a civil conviction for assult and battery. Later found out he was committed for some mental illness.......................You think?!

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:41 am