View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:07 am

goose recipes 
King of Spring

Post goose recipes
I killed a few geese back in the early season so this weekend i thought i would try them. I never ate goose so i got on the web to find some recipes. I cut it up into thin strips and marinated in buttermilk the floured and fried it. It was pretty tough and not much of a taste. Do any of yall waterfowlers have any good recipes?

Doug

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:43 pm
Boss Gobbler

Step 2... Strap goose to board and season however you like
Step 3... Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Step 4... Remove Goose from oak board
Step 5... Eat oak board

Only kidding, but halfway serious... Dale has figured out how to make some decent jerky from goose and that's about it...

Good luck!

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I laughed out loud at that one Freddy.. The Co-Workers ask me what was going on I was making such a racket.. thanks for that :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:12 am
King of Spring

Post goose recipes
I've had 1 or 2 good tasting tender geese and several that were really tuff.
The secret seems to be to bake real slow in oven.
Heard an old timer say if you're hunting geese and they come over in the V formation, take the ones in the back for they are younger ones and the best to eat.

I can't see shooting something that I know is most likely not going to worth eating.

barry

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:39 pm
King of Spring

Doug

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:29 pm
Longbeard

Geese, you either love them or hate them. Barry is correct about not taking the lead birds as they are older and stronger, thus helping the younger birds fly as long and far as they do (yes there is a reason they fly in a V formation, and for you race fans, it's called "drafting").

Most of the geese that I've eaten have been smoked, but I've seen them done on the grill as well. Grilling them must not be too bad as the film crew from Zink's calls ate grilled goose breasts for I think 11 straight days!!! :shock:

I'll dig around in my stuff (boxes actually) and try and find some recipes.

Along the lines of Freddy's recipe is one that I read.

Step 1....clean goose

Step 2....poke stick up goose's butt

Step 3....cook goose over open fire

Step 4....Goose is done when you're drunk enough to eat it :D

"Not only did turkeys originate Murphy's Law, they have rewritten several of its postulates. After what they make go wrong has gone wrong, and then gotten worse, they really get down to work and create trouble" - Tom Kelly

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 pm
King of Spring

I've been told that goose is an acquired taste. I got tired of trying to acquire it. Was on the brink of stopping shooting them if I couldn't find a solution. Was home with the little one on a sick day in early fall and sliced up 10 pounds of goose breast filets into jerky slices. Marianated in a mixture of soy sauce, worstecire sauce and liquid smoke for an hour and then made jerky in the oven. Turned out edible. Actually had some folks ask for seconds. Gone now and now I'm actually looking forward to killing some more. Hope Santa has a dehyrator in his bag for this purpose.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:55 pm
Profile YIM
Jake

i dont know what you guys are eating when you say goose is bad, but i love goose, i have as much goose in my freezer at the end of the season as i do deer, make it in the crock pot like you would a piece of deer roast, you wont know the difference, i make gravy and mashed potatoes and you wouldnt know you are not eating roast beef. maybe they taste different in va but i doubt it.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:12 pm
King of Spring

I have shot piles of geese over the years and have only foud a hand full of recepies that I liked.....Sending them away to make goose sausage, sticks, jerky, etc, turned out well....Don't mind a smoked goose breast......& cutting breast into thin strips, cover with italian bread crumbs and saute' in hot olive oil with wild mushrooms is proballly the best.........I did find one new use which I find is the new best best.......

De-breast and put in quart freezer bags....freeze....Come summer when I go fishing, take them out and use them as a cold pack in the cooler...When they melt.....toss them or use for chum.......Dual purpose and they don't go to waste! :D

Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:41 am
Jake

why do you shoot them if you dont like eating them? i dont think much of guys killing them just to kill and then tossing them. no wonder the antis have a problem with hunters, i read that and have a problem myself and ive been hunting all my life. thats bs there, i hope you was joking.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:07 pm
King of Spring

I don't think you will find that on this site.
The people on this site are all up right hunters.

I know folk who are not crazy about deer meat , but they love to hunt them. What ever meat they get is given to friends , food banks or HFTH.

I hunt geese every now and then. I have eaten it....It okay, but I know some folks who really like it. So most of my birds I give to them.

I understand where you are comming from , but I think it just kidding.
Tim

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:25 pm
King of Spring

I forgot how litteral comments, jokes, etc. are taken through writing....& for that I apologize and for any ill-humor generated. I need to remember to write " I AM JUST KIDDING" like Freddy ( as above), after every comment that might be a joke, a funny untruth or the like.

As for waterfowling, and all hunting that I do, I do utilize everything that I harvest, whether I eat it myself or give it to someone else who does. I donate at least 1 deer a year to HFTH, not because I don't like deer meat, but because I want to help someone less fortunate than myself and there are a lot of hungry people in Old VA!

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:35 am
King of Spring

I don't shoot them anymore. I've tried everything I can think of and it all still comes out with the same bad aftertaste. I have heard that Canada geese from the central flyway that feed on corn taste better than the river-bottom feeders from around here though. It is too bad because I do enjoy calling them in and watching them decoy.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:13 am
King of Spring

Post goose recipes
:smt114 MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY! :smt114

Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:12 pm
Longbeard

I used to belong to a waterfowl forum and there was a guy from Nebraska that had a recipe for "corned goose" and it sounded really good. I don't shoot them for this reason, although I did make jerky from a couple one year and my nieces and nephews ate it like it was venison. I never tell..

2gbl

Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:20 pm