View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Triumphs, Trials and Tribulations of Great Bay Babe & Belle. 
King of Spring

Post Re: Triumphs, Trials and Tribulations of Great Bay Babe & Be
09-29-17
Been a while since I posted. It has been a lazy summer for Bay and Belle. For Belle that is all about to change. I swear she senses it is time to hunt. I say 'bird' and that dog could take off like a helicopter the way she wags that tail.

Woodcock and partridge season open Sunday. We are going to the regenerating forest that is in conservation and is open to hunting. Got turned on to this cover by a forester. Best continuous upland habitat I know this close to home.

Got the hunt all mapped out. We will concentrate on an approx. 300 acre piece I wanted to hunt last year but the December weather closed in on us.

Next we have a week planned in northern NH and another two weeks in Maine. Needless to say I won't be working much next month.

Just following behind my yellow dog Belle making ammunition companies rich.

Stay tuned to Belle and Birds 2017.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Triumphs, Trials and Tribulations of Great Bay Babe & Be
10-01-17 Southern NH

Have been looking forward to this day and hunt since our journeys there last December. I whiffed on partridge every trip.

Was joined again today for another upland opener by my forester friend Steven. I chose the hunt and he mapped it out.

Somebody forgot to send the memo that they logged this country this summer. Deer and turkey tracks were all we found.

Decided to go down the mountain and hunt the lowland beaver ponds. There was no water on the mountain. Walked back down the road to the starting point and there was a truck there. Looked in the back, no crates. Looked on the back windshield of the cab and saw a Ruffed Grouse Society sticker. Since it was warming up, we had already put in over five miles we decided to each his own and walked back to our trucks. On the walk back we heard a dog bark from the hunters general direction.

Back at the trucks reminiscing and sipping on a cold drink we heard a truck coming. It was the other hunter. We had a great conversation. He was a generation older than I and spoke about hunting the 1950's in NH. Said it was prime grouse time due to the forest regeneration from the Hurricane of 1938. One of the worst hurricanes to hit New England.

No birds were harmed today. Heck we didn't even flush one, neither did he. Time to map out a new hunt.

But alas I do not despair. Going to camp in northern NH for a week, then off to the County for a week and then a first for this hunter a week in Downeast Maine

There will be plenty of flushes and stories to come.

To all...have a good season, hunt safe and take plenty of pictures.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23