View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

Brookies 
Longbeard

Post Brookies
Had a nice time beating the heat yesterday up on the South Fork of the Piney River in Amherst Co. The native brookies weren't giving my dry fly the time of day but when I tied on a nymph dropper they ate it up. Not too big but beautiful fish in a beautiful place. Put up a good fight too for their size. I quit when my Thermacell canister ran out and the mosquitoes started in on me.

Attachments:
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG [ 39.28 KiB | Viewed 4368 times ]
Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:53 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Brookies
Is that a native Brooke from Piney? If so its a very nice sized one for a native brook trout.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:24 pm
Longbeard

Yes I'm pretty sure it's a native. This one was the biggest of the six I caught, about 7 inches. The smallest was probably 3-4 inches.They were all brookies with good coloration. I don't think they stock anything as small as 7 inches and certainly not 4. This section of the river is stocked, but I think most of the stocked trout are pretty quickly caught or migrate down the river to posted water (my family once had permission to fish a section of the posted water and there were quite a few rainbows and browns down there). I don't try to time my fishing there to the stocking schedule as I prefer fishing for the natives anyway. The next time I go I'm going to try a streamer and see if there is anything bigger in there. If not, it's still very enjoyable fishing.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:58 pm
King of Spring

Beautiful. I myself have been enjoying the native brookie fishing up in the Shenandoah Park.They have been tearing up the yellow stoneflies in size 16. Cress bugs size 14 are working well on other streams.

Just made up some streamers I am going to try the next couple days.

Fishing for those natives I agree are a ton of enjoyable fun.

Earl

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:37 am