View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

Any surf fisherman about? 
2 Year Old

Post Any surf fisherman about?
Headed down to the gulf Saturday for a week stay in Seacrest, FL. (just west of Panama city, east of Grayton Beach). Family trip with MIL, FIL, wifes sister and her husband, nephew, niece, and my wife and two boys. Whew, a lot of mouths to feed!
I grew up in Northern Virginia and spent most of my beach trips in the Outer Banks of NC and eastern shore of VA. Being in Ky the last 22 years I have made quite a few trips to the gulf. My oldest, 13, is just getting the fishing bug again and this is the first time I'm considering an inshore trip, but the $ may be prohibitive. I know we will surf fish, dunking sand fleas, shrimp and casting gotchas. The hope is for pompano and whiting, maybe a close school of spanish or blues. Could even raise a red fish at one of the inlets. Every year when I put the turkey gear away I start looking at the salt gear and reading fishing reports for wherever we are heading. On a long shot I thought perhaps some members here may fish the gulf waters. If you do and wanted to pass along thoughts, stories or instructions I am listening. I fish with a two hook set up. Dropper loops spread 12" with a pyramid 12" below. I tie the dropper loops with 20# flouro and bloodknot or albright knot to the main line. Not sure if it matters but have been told the pompano do not always like a bunch of jewelry around the bait. 2/0 circle hooks or oshaunnesy hooks. We normally catch enough to make a meal for 6-8 once or twice a week. Would love to land a cobia and feed everyone for a few days, but in 30 some years of salt fishing it hasn't happened yet.

Fourth of July is Hatteras, Waves area with my sister and her family my mom and dad. Toying with an offshore trip if we can split the costs with others.
The wahoo was my first. Good eating.

Wed May 21, 2014 11:47 am
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Any surf fisherman about?
Myself and Dale go down to Hatteras every now and then, not as often as we would like. It's a great time. This last October we had some great fishing.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed May 21, 2014 9:10 pm
Profile WWW