View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 am

trout picture 
Longbeard

Post trout picture
Here is a picture of the trout my son caught this spring. He loves to fish and would go every day if we could.

My wife and I took him trout fising this spring at a pond in Wythville. Ine pond has smaller trout 12-15 inches and the other one has 3lbs and up. Christian and I have fished here before. So he knew which pond held the big ones.

After catching several smaller trout. He wanted to catch one of the bigger ones and he did just that. He cast it out there and had a bunch of slack in his line. I could see it starting to get some tension in it and told him to get ready when this fish took off i thought he was going in. After several long and hard minutes battling this fish he was getting tired and kept saying daddy help me all I could do was sit back and enjoy the show. He had the but of the rod in his belly his left hand above the reel his right hand on the reel. It looked like he was deep sea fishing. It was dragging him all over the bank. He finally landed the monster after 10 min or more. I had the drag turned down pretty good so the fish had its way most of the time. 5lbs and 12ounces 24 inches long rainbow.

It will be a memory he and I will never forget.I took him with me to a local trout streamand with some friends from work about a month ago and we waded up the stream and he caught several all by himself.

Last edited by hennedup on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:53 pm
Boss Gobbler

Great pic and a beautiful trout! Thanks for sharing.

I have fished several of those trout ponds up in Rural Retreat in my younger days. Always a blast and they hold some good size trout.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:57 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

That looks like one happy little guy! Great photo. My grandfather took me to a similar place when I was 4. That trip ignited a life-long passion. Sounds like you've got a fishing buddy for life! Great job!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:27 am
Poult

That is a day your or your son will never forget, I still have a picture of the first bass that I caught with my day over 43 yrs ago. Even though my day is now gone the memory is still there. Keep the memories and enjoy. Great Job for both of you!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:52 am
King of Spring

Had a similar experience this summer with my 5 year old son and a 5-6 pound carp. Not as glorious of a fish, but the same fun and pride. I live for those days! Congrats on keeping our youth involved in the outdoors. TScott and I are taking my 5 year old along with us tomorrow on an afternoon goose hunt. This will be his first tag along on an actual hunt. I don't know who is more excited!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:56 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Awesome! Brings back alot of old memories of me and my dad. Take him all you can, no better way to raise a youngster... Congrats Christian!

Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:35 am
Longbeard

Hey TScott I used to live in Sugar Grove and my neighbor and I would ride our bicycle to Rural Retreat to catch a trout or two. Most time we could catch two. There was a trailor that had several trout ponds.

Dale I know what your saying we were at a campground and he caught a carp that was 9lbs he wanted to keep it bad. but i made him throw it back yesterday when his trout came back. He said we should have kept tthat carp daddy it was bigger!They dont care if its trout,carp or bluegill as long as they are catching fish.

Thanks everybody else my mother would take me just about any time i wanted to go when i was young she would sit on the bank and i would fish.some of my best memories are of her and I fishing.

Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:58 pm