View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

Bugs and Bass 2013 
King of Spring

Post Bugs and Bass 2013
Bugs and Bass 2013
Welcome to Bugs and Bass 2013. Please come along on the adventures of the Bayman.

Tonight the USS Coalman came out of storage and is safely parked in dry dock. . The chicken feathers, bodily functions and a winters worth of dust have hosed down and removed. I even found an egg. Step #1 complete.

The steering is loose and free. The lower end oil needs changing. New spark plugs will find a home in the heads. I hope the pee hole is clear.

Boat and lobster accessories needed be purchased. I'm adding to the list daily. The lobster traps need their 2013 tags attached. Batteries need to come to full charge.

Half this summer's lobster bait is secure in the freezer. The fish and water velocity cooperated this spring. The cast net was accurate. Mackerel are next on the agenda.

All first hand reports heard this spring are favorable. Lots of small stripers from the ocean to our inland sea. Bait fish are falling back through the estuaries. Never pass up an alewife, white perch or tomcod for bait. Striped bass consider them candy

Permits, licenses and registrations are all in order. The NH turkey tag is signed.

Great Bay here I come.

Thanks for having me.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Bugs and Bass 2013
06-08-13
Changing seasons.
Another chapter in the book of my life ended with the close of the spring gobbler season last weekend.

Yesterday we started a new chapter, Bugs and Bass 2013. With the help of my wife and first mate Karen, the USS Coalman splashed into the Squamscott River at the Exeter town docks along side the Swazey Parkway.

After the headway speed only sign was to my rear I throttled up the engine and came to plane. The river is like a slalom course as it winds its way along the estuary through Exeter, Newfields and Stratham. My thoughts were of the commerce this river supported before the advent of the locomotive and automobile.

In the absence of gundalows and mast sailing ships the river has reverted back to its wild state.

Time to lobster trap and striped bass fish.

Welcome to Bugs and Bass 2013.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:40 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

06-09-13
From the barn, to the truck, to the dock, to the boat....lobster trapping preparation reminds me of bucking up firewood.

It was a good day to be alive.

The Great Bay.

That is a shrimp boat from Alabama on mooring. Properly named "Gumbo".

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

06-10-13
Back to the barn last night to get a few more traps tuned and ready to go. I noticed something in the kitchen in a trap at the bottom of the stack.

It was a chicken. I opened the trap and gently shook her out. Underneath her I found these.

When I left the barn she was rolling the eggs and brooding her new nest.

Gotta love working lobster traps. You never know what surprise you will find inside.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Father's Day Weekend Kickoff 06-15-13

Shawn and I kicked off Father's Day weekend with a trip to Great Bay. While the fishing was slow the bugging was fast. Nine keepers from the first eight traps set. One soft shell and eight hard shell. We'll be eating good tomorrow.

Thanks for coming Shawn!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:55 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

06-15-13 Surf and Turf
Arrived at camp about 3 PM. We started with a ride up the mountain. Bay found every mud hole in our journey which required a quick stop for a swim at the homesteaders spring on the east side of the mountain. Back at camp the boil was hot and then it was tailgate lobsters.

With the first campfire of the season next came the turf. My son Shawn the chef with the yellow dog.

06-16-13
After a late evening listening to a Bruin's overtime victory sleep came easy. We started Father's Day with breakfast at the country store and then a scenic drive around the area. Shawn and Bay took a hike up the mountain while I hung back and mowed the lawn.

We celebrated our time together in his grandfather's and my Dad's honor. I know he would have approved. Overall a great Father's Day weekend with two of my best friends.

Thanks Shawn!

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:49 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

06-20-13
Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer
Celebrated the kick off of Summer 2013 with a trip to Great Bay in search of striped bass. An incoming tide with a strong south wind made the ride out to the fishing grounds a little rough.

Once there the NH National Guard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_Air_ ... Guard_Base was practicing touch and go with their KC-135R Stratotankers. Fishing at the end of the runway I was in great position to watch them.

One time I was right underneath the plane as it glided towards the runway. So close I even waved. There was no wing tipping in return.

That is my lobster buoy in the center and my buddy Joe's buoy to the right. I got a couple keepers out of that trap last week. Looking forward to checking the line on Saturday.

Fishing was slow until the sun went down behind the trees. As dusk settled in the bite turned on.

Biggest fish of the evening was a fat and strong 33" striper.

No hero pics as the fish was tired. Got it back in the water ASAP. I'll never get tired of the tail face splash I get when the striper springs back to life and heads to the depths.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:51 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

06-22-13
Arrived at the boat at 0500. I was trying to beat the low tide which came at 0701 at the trestle and was a negative -0.8. Had two traps aboard, twelve gallons of fuel and a bucket of bait. Motoring over 1.9 feet of water in the low spots is not my idea of fun.

When I went by Black Bank I noticed what looked like a bird in distress in the water on the edge of the flats. It looked like two wings protruding above the water line. As I got closer the wings turned into ears and a deer stepped up onto the Stratham flats. The deer had a hard time running in the mud. A quick cell phone picture was all I had time for. After I went past the deer it came back to the water and swam over to Newmarket. I could have gone back for closeups of the swim but felt it better not to stress the little critter.

It looks like the deer was in mid leap when the shutter flashed.

Saw one boat fishing at Adam's Point. I saw them later at the red can at Sunk Ledge. Gave them the universal arms open, palms up shoulder shrug asking if they had any luck. Their sign language back confirmed no fish.

The bugging was hot and cold. Of thirteen traps with a weeks soak time five were empty. Eight traps held lobsters. One had seven keepers and one had five. Ended the morning with twenty five keepers.

There was a good variety of soft and hard shell bugs. A couple of the hard shells were easily two pounders. I can taste the lobster rolls now. :D

I saw no schooling stripers or diving birds. But I did see a lot of silversides at Fox Point. Tonight is a "Super Moon". The moon will be the closest to earth in its yearly orbit. It is said to be a third brighter than your average full moon. Going to take advantage of it and fish the incoming tide tonight.

The bread crumb trail on the GPS is like a yellow brick road. The rising water will make the trip across Great Bay after dark less stressfull. At least you know if you hit the mud the water will only get higher.

Got a bucket full of eels and a full tank of gas. A nap today will be mandatory. Watch out Great Bay striped bass......

Here I come !!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:34 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Update 06-22-13 PM

Fished around Fox Point until 9 PM. The weather man said impending rain showers and the northwestern sky told the truth. Made the run back to the Squamscott under a rising Super Moon. Not one other boat in the six mile run.

The Great Bay at night is a whole lot different than the Merrimack River. The Mack is lit up by all its shoreline inhabitants. I told Karen last night I refer to the Great Bay at night as the "Black Hole".

Love the Garmin GPS. The screen color automatically changes at night. The borders are black and the bread crumb trail is a soft yellow/white. Kept the arrow on the yellow brick road and safely found the trestle.

One 32" released striper was the game bag for the evening.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:11 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

07-20-13
The weather is my enemy.

During our recent vacation to Oregon my buddy checked my traps for me. July 4th 19 keepers, July 10th 9 keepers and today my first time back on the line only four keepers.

At 0500 this morning the surface temperature in the Squamscott River was 82 degrees. Six miles from the dock and that much closer to the ocean 77 degrees.

The bugs are heading back to the colder ocean water. This heat wave is effecting the Great Bay catch. We just went through 5 days at + 90 degrees. Friday was the worst at 98. The heat is suppose to break tonight and the 6 foot tide today is predicted to be 8 feet + the rest of the week as the full moon brings higher tides.

The 'Dog Days" of lobster trapping our inland ocean are here. On a positive note got six eels out of the eel traps this morning. I wonder if Mr Striped Bass is still home? We'll find out at daybreak tomorrow.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:11 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Coalman wrote:
06-15-13 Surf and Turf
Arrived at camp about 3 PM. We started with a ride up the mountain. Bay found every mud hole in our journey which required a quick stop for a swim at the homesteaders spring on the east side of the mountain. Back at camp the boil was hot and then it was tailgate lobsters.

Now THAT'S tailgating!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:28 pm
King of Spring

Fished Fox Point this morning. Slime (eels) for bait. Joe saved the skunk with a 27" striper. Lots of baitfish in shallow water. No surface bass activity. Probably due to the waters 77 degree surface temperature.

I saw this blonde seal yesterday. Today it had a friend. This rock has taken out a few lower ends in its day.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Eagles and Osprey's
So far this summer has not been good to Great Bay from a bayman's perspective. It started out really good with clean ocean water and high salinity. Surface water temps in the sixties brought in big schools of young migratory striped bass who actively fed on the surface. This was a sight I hadn't witnessed in many years.

The early run of lobsters was very good. Eel trapping for striper bait filled the cars hanging off the dock. It all started with an A on the report card.

Then the rain and heat came. The five freshwater rivers feeding Great Bay, the Squamscott, Lamprey, Winnicut, Oyster and Bellamy helped reduce the salinity needed by our seasonal fin and shellfish. The Great Bay is shallow and mostly made up of flats. At low tide this black mud absorbs the sun's energy. When the tide returns it helps heat up the water temperature. Last week at the dock on the Squamscott at low tide the surface temperature read 83 degrees, at Adam's Point and Fox Point 77 degrees. Not favorable to stripers and lobsters. This week Fox Point surface temp was 70 degrees due largely to the big full moon tides pumping ocean water into our inland sea.

It has been a lot of years since my trapline in Great Bay got the "skunk". I'm glad to say the one lobster I put in the cooler yesterday saved that dreaded distinction. But while some things in Great Bay rank about a D right now yesterdays boat ride was an A.

Just as I cast my eel into the rip at Baldy's a mature bald eagle set wing from its dead tree perch on the GBNWR. What an impressive bird with the white head and white tail fan. It soared along the shoreline giving me a full view of its size and majestic national recognition.

At Fox Point lounging at Sunk ledge was a seal and what looked like her half grown pup. Blondie was nowhere in sight today.

And on my way in by the green can in Great Bay I saw an osprey hovering over the flats on the Newmarket side as it sized up its aquatic prey. In an instant it folded its wings and dived like a missile creating only a minor splash as it entered the water. As quick as the dive the osprey was back at the surface steadily flapping its wings as it gained altitude with a fish clearly visible in its talons.

Lobsters and striped bass are not the only bounties of the Great Bay!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:32 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

07-30-13 PM
What a beautiful night to sling some slime. Almost didn't go due to a 8:38 PM, 7.1 foot high tide at the trestle. It doesn't leave much clearance.

Bay is going to be 4 years old tomorrow. Man, where does the time go. So her present was to accompany me on her namesake the Great Bay.

Fished Fox Point on a rising tide. Only one fish showed interest with a swirl and a couple of light taps on the eel. Lots of small bait being harassed. Just at dusk a pod of fish came to the surface. Of course they were a couple hundred yards away. A slow sneak to their position found no love.

Stopped at my favorite Adam's Point rip on the way in. It was dead high tide just leaning to outgoing. One well placed eel brought my first hookup on the night. Slid a 28" striper over the gunnel to Bay's approval. As night overtook day the mosquitoes came out in force. A couple more casts and I was on again. This striper had spunk. Man I love to hear the drag peel on my reel.

When this fish came aboard Bay gave it a wide berth. While not a cow by any means this 32" striper was fat and healthy. I quickly removed the #4 Octopus hook from its jaw and gave it the release of life. Made it under the trestle with an inch to spare.

Happy birthday Carlton Brook's Great Bay Babe.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Murphy and Walter
07-31-13
The weather tonight was a repeat of last night. My golf partner had a prior commitment so what's a man to do? Go fishing of course.

Met up with Joe at the dock, took a nights worth of eels from the car and we headed back to Fox Point in my Popeye boat. Fishing was a repeat of the previous evening. The bite turned on at dusk. Joe boated the first and largest fish of the night. All the bass we caught got the release of life due to be under the 28" size limit. Great Bay is known more as a nursery than a cow pasture.

Yours truly did hook into a nice fish at Adam's Point about 10 PM. Screaming drag. Joe told me he already could taste the steaks but Murphy showed up and Walter is still swimming.

Our journey across the Bay back to the dock under the dark curtain of night was uneventful. Gotta love that yellow brick road on the GPS.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW