View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

Bugs and Bass 2012 
King of Spring

Post Of Bugs and Bass
It is summer time on Great Bay. Today it was all about bugs and bass.

This morning had to be some of the worst fog I've ever had the displeasure of navigating. Thank you Garmin and the yellow brick road. My first stop on an incoming tide was six miles from the dock. My slime bait offerings were ignored. Only one boil in three drifts that usually hold fish.

I put the fishing rod in the cuddy and proceeded to pull gear. The traps averaged about a 1/2 pound each. There are hard shell lobsters around and the usual July culls. After the strings were checked the sun made its appearance in fiery way. Stripers don't bite well in bright sunshine. The bow was pointed home.

The Bay's smell of striped bass and bait. While checking the lobster line this morning I watched pods of small bait fish jumping for their lives. It reminded me of paintings of striped bass with their mouths wide open chasing schools of bait. The stripers tummy's were full this morning. They fed well last night. Would the evening tide be any different? I had to know.

An east wind held up the thunderstorms. I made the ride to the striper grounds in good time. I'm glad I did.

32" striper released

It started to rain hard as the second bass came over the side.

This bass was 30" but fought like a bull. The bass look like footballs from gorging on bait. After a brief revival this bass swims another day.

The rain stung hard against my face on the open Bay cruise back to the dock. I'll take that pain any day.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Bugs and Bass 2012
Thanks Cwclasvi. It is always nice to have company and fish new water.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Striped Ones and Hard Shells
This is not about skunks but striped bass. Haven't written much lately because I've been fishing. And the fishing has been good. Lobster trapping hasn't been to shabby either. Getting a few hard shell lobsters in the mix. That means they are migrating from the ocean to shed.

It has been fun having Joe to fish with. While on our own boats last night it is always good to have someone else looking out for you OTW.

34" striped bass caught 08-09-12

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Bugs and Bass 2012
08-12-12
Today's weather made it very risky to go nautical. The Weather Channel's Map in Motion finally showed a break about 1PM.

To my north.......

To my south........

Judging by the view my experience told me not to go far.

The first cast in open Bay, I caught a bluefish. As soon as the eel hit the water this toothy devil began reducing the size of my eel by 50%. All I could see was lobster bait,

Pretty lucky to land the fish on mono filament only. It was lipped hooked so it became bug bait.

Remember the weather? After boating the fish I looked south. Rain and lots of it was making it's was across the Bay. There was enough time to don rubber boots, lobster bib and raincoat before bailing into the cuddy.

Man did it rain.

When the sun reappeared the bite turned off. No more fish today. I'll be after those blues this week for lobster bait.

The osprey were successful this summer.

The chick fledged last week.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Avoiding the Skunk
08-27-12
With the predicted rain front approaching from the west we had high hopes that the change in weather would put the stripers on the bite this evening.

We left the dock about 6PM. The blowing SW wind with an incoming tide made the open Great Bay look angry. With less than two hours of daylight left we didn't stay long in any one spot. We would make an initial drift. If we didn't get a bite we moved on....and on....and on. We never got a bite, a worry or a chase. No bluefish either.

Things were looking like a skunk was going to raise its smelly tail until the sun went behind the trees on the western front. I had a striper boil at my eel as I was retrieving for another cast. Joe threw his eel in the same place and this little guy became our "trophy" of the night.

Thank you Mr. Striper for keeping the skunk at bay in the Great Bay. Swim fast our friend on your upcoming trip to the Chesapeake Bay.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Where there is one...........
09-01-12
Where there is one.......there could be two........or three...........

While on my ride to the lobster boat on Saturday I spied a deer standing on the side of the road. As I slowed down I could see the deer was bald. Her body language told me she was going to cross the road. The four vehicles behind me must have been wondering why the brown truck was stopping in the middle of the road until they saw the doe bolt across. She was followed by a spotted fawn who scurried behind mom to the opposite side. Still I was hesitant to continue and good thing. At the last moment another spotted fawn appeared but the close presence of my truck scared it back where it came from.

This is the second deer - vehicle encounter I have had this summer. Both happened so quick. Only after I passed the doe and two fawns and had an adrenaline rush did I realize how close the encounter had been.

It was a good morning on the Bay. It was time for a couple firsts.

This is the first scup I have caught in Great Bay.

It would be nice and tasty to catch these on a regular basis

Blue crabs

The lobster catch was loaded up for distribution to landowners around camp as a thank you for letting me hunt. The rest of the weekend was spent at camp with my two best friends.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Spiker visits his roots
09-12-12
Had the honor this afternoon of hosting Spiker on the USS Coalman for a striped bass fishing trip in Great Bay. We grew up hunting and fishing together. I also had the honor of standing by his side when he got married as his best man.

The afternoon started in our kitchen sampling some recently dug Bay clams and Bay lobsters. He told me it had been a long time since he sampled the local seacoast shellfish. The highlight of our trip to the fishing grounds was the sighting of mature bald eagle as it flew the narrows of Adam's Point. We followed it to the GBWR side as it took roost in a dead tree. Our stalk was not stealthy as the eagle spooked on our approach to try and steal its picture.

Fishing was on the slow side with only a few bites to show for our efforts. As the sun began to fall behind the tree line Spiker's line went taunt. Being happy to avoid the skunk you would have thought from our celebration this fish was eighteen pounds rather than eighteen inches.

It is always a pleasure to see Spiker and back home our conversations lasted well into the evening.

Someday I am going to take some time and visit him on his home waters.

Thanks Steve. I had a great time. You always have a place in my life.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Peace of Mind
Thursday 09-06-12 Adam's Point.

Peace of Mind

Saturday 09-08-12

Clam flats. Yum, yum. The boat is tonging for oysters.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:44 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Bugs and Bass 2012 is Over.
Bartering, a New England Tradition
Hunting is a privilege. Shell fishing is my hobby. When you combine both you make landowners happy.

Today finished my traditional visits to property owners who let me have use of their land. Since clamming season started there have been four stops to share Great Bay bounties.

These lands are open to all sportsman. The gifts allow for greater access. One fair lady shows me where she see the deer on her property.

Another will save me the best goose field on the farm with just a phone call.

On my last visit today someone answered my knock I didn't know. I asked for the homeowner but they were away. When I mentioned my name and told her about the lobsters she said "You were here last year. You hunt."

I left the farm with an empty cooler and a pumpkin for my wife.

And this guy? He is my Great Bay mentor and my favorite autumn visit.

09-29-12
Buffered by a steady north wind, in two trips I had all the lobster traps back to the dock.

Just as previously mentioned at the onset of the season lugging traps reminds me of putting up firewood.
You touch it many times before you get heat.

This ramp leads me to many adventures. I paused to reflect.

What started in June as a bright green background has faded to brown in the changing of the seasons.

The traps will now hibernate until the river herring and cow striped bass come calling next spring and signal the Great Bay's awakening.

I thank the Almighty for watching out for me and making my season safe and bountiful. It is time to hunt. Amen!

Thanks for coming along.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 pm
Profile WWW