View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

New River Smallmouth 
Poult

Post New River Smallmouth
Anybody on here fish the New River much? I have taken a couple of trips there and never have done much good, but it seems that everyone else has great success there. I was just wondering where the better spots to fish were.

Wed May 16, 2012 2:07 pm
Poult

Post Re: New River Smallmouth
I've always been partial to the stretch from Pembroke to the WV line. Access from Pembroke to Narrows is sketchy but access is good from Narrows to Glen Lyn.

Wed May 16, 2012 4:33 pm
Poult

I have taken a couple of trips there and never have done much good, but it seems that everyone else has great success there. I was just wondering where the better spots to fish were.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:23 am
King of Spring

I won't claim a lot of success on the New, but if you're after numbers and not size, I've had some great outings. It's a big river, at least by SW VA standards. I've had good success in the Parrott to McCoy stretch of the river. Tons of ledges that span the full width of the river. Lots of current and current breaks. If you can seine for helgramittes or minnows, you'll see a very high catch rate but artificial baits with a crawfish pattern work well too. The Senko wacky rig brings good bites too. Depending on the time of year and water levels, the weed lines can produce. TScott and I usually do a float trip or two each summer and have a blast catching good numbers of smallmouth, rock bass, and perch. We sometimes manage to boat a 2 lber but we are usually more after numbers rather than bigger fish. Find current and you'll find the smallies. I've fished pretty much every stretch from Whitethorn to the WV line and there are fish on every float.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 am
Profile YIM
Poult

we're in the same boat mate

Thor

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 am