View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 pm

Flyfishing for Smallies 
King of Spring

Post Flyfishing for Smallies
The biggest charge I get from fishin is....catching Smallies using a flyrod and poppin bugs....its a blast.... :D

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:21 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

It's tough to beat the topwater bite. The most exciting strike you will ever have no matter what species or tool you use to get it. I don't flyfish, but love topwater strikes!

Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:32 pm
Post topwater strikes
Your rite Criggster...can't beat the topwater hit.....

Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:05 pm
King of Spring

Top water strikes are Heart Stopping! There isn't another adrenalin rush like it! What am I saying? Other than a Spring Gobbler in your sights :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:14 pm
King of Spring

I agree with criggster! ...It's an awesome thing to have a big bass (or any fish) swarm out of the water to tromp down on your topwater bait! Kinda neat for everything to be calm, just working a plug or lure over the top of the water, and a big bass just come up and KILL IT! :)

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:18 pm
King of Spring

Was on the New yesterday evening fishing in the rain. Had a blast. Hooked three smallmouth. Landed two, one 1.5lbs and the other just under a pound. As is always the case, the one that got away was HUGE. This was a citation fish! Threw the jig like a largemouth dancing across the surface. Too much fun!

Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:46 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Dale - pic? As a witness, that fish was every bit of 20 inches. No fish story here. That was fun! Good job landing that fish on the ultralight in stiff current!

Scott and I found one channel cat on the line this am. He was 5-6 lbs. The river had risen considerably and was muddy. The current near the jug was interesting to say the least.

Last edited by Big Bird on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 am
Boss Gobbler

Very nice fish Dale, congrat's again!!! :D That was a biggun' that got away!!!

I like to catch smallmouth on flyrod also. Have not taken my fly rod out in awhile, guess I need to dust it off and take it to the New. Love to catch smallies and even panfish on the fly rod. My biggest on a fly was a 4 pounder while fishing for bluegill :shock: Broke my 5 weight rod, but I landed him. I now have a 8 weight for smallies :wink:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:00 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post flyfishin
Hey guys...got to agree ,anytime ya get a hit on a fly or lure on top is a blast....hey even to get a hit/ and/or catch a nice trout on a dry Caddis fly ain't too bad...Its my favorite dry fly.... :)

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:52 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: flyfishin
caddis wrote:
Its my favorite dry fly.... :)

Your kidding right? :wink: :lol:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Gotta love that top water smallmouth hit! I catch them on Moomaw , walking the dog with Lucky Craft Sammys.
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:55 pm
King of Spring

Post Dry Flys
TS...I aint kiddin...that Caddis Fly does it for me....That or a Trico....on a spring creek...rite after the last frost.... 8)

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:34 pm
Profile YIM