View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:59 pm

Citizen tips lead to crackdown on use of illegal cast nets 
Boss Gobbler

Post Citizen tips lead to crackdown on use of illegal cast nets
District 41 Conservation Police Officers, Sgt. Carl Martin and Officer Keith Crider, and District 42 Officers Beth Harold and Rob Ham conducted a special operation on the Shenandoah River at Watermelon Park in Clarke County. The operation targeted the taking of game fish by illegal methods, specifically cast nets. CPO's utilized kayaks, worked in plain clothes in order to observe the illegal activity. The operation took place over two days, 07/17/10 and 07/18/10. Several concerned citizens contacted VDGIF to express their concern about the fisheries resource in the Shenandoah River and the taking of this resource by cast nets. While CPO's have been working this area for some time, the use of cast nets has increased. Region 4 Officers were able to document the illegal catch and charged ten individuals under 29.1-531, take game fish by illegal method. A total of seventeen summonses were issued over the two-day operation. On July 17, 2010, CPO's seized 95 game fish of varying size from four individuals. On July 18, 2010, approximately 160 game fish were seized from six individuals. Species taken by illegal method included smallmouth bass, rock bass, and other sunfish. In addition, 41 channel catfish were caught by cast net. Continued harvest at these rates over several months could certainly have an effect on local fish populations. CPO's will continue to conduct patrols in this area.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/outdoor-re ... e-notebook

Good job Officers!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:07 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Citizen tips lead to crackdown on use of illegal cast nets
I have caught many a game fish in a cast night accidentially while attempting to catch shad for bait. After admiring the game fish, they were released unharmed. Not once did it ever occur to me that the net could be used primarily to catch game fish. Don't see what fun it was for the offenders honestly. Why can't we all just play nicely together...

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:38 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

That is about 3 miles from my house. There had been many complaints about this from the locals. Majority of the targeted people were Hispanics that flock to Watermelon park every weekend. I witnessed the Game wardens issuing citations to more people this weekend for hand lining with no fishing license below the RT 7 Bridge. The game wardens were hiding in the bushes taking digital pictures of the offenders and then would approach them with the evidence. It was some what comical becuase they drop the hand line spools in the water and say they weren't fishing and don't speak english but the game warden had a picture and showed them the pictures and wrote many citations.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:33 pm
Longbeard

I bet none of them show up to court either. I have fished that stretch of river multiple times this year and have really noticed a decrease in the amount of fish I am catching over the last two years. The loss of the game fish is sad, but it is also a shame that these people don't understand that the fish they are eating are quite possibly poisoning them and their families.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:53 am
Profile WWW