View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

Western New York Steelhead 
Longbeard

Post Western New York Steelhead
I went to New York to be with my family on Easter and to help my Mom and Dad around the house. Dad just had Triple Bypass along with a Cardoid Artery Cleaning done. From what the doctors said he was a walkig time bomb. I am grateful that he made it through surgery and is doing well. Now if he can only do a little life style change he should be as good as new..Smoking was going to kill him in more than one way!
Now to the fishing, Spring trout season opened on April 1st as it does every year. This date is a big deal in Buffalo tons of people hit the streams to catch the stocked trout in the small streams. I use to be one of the kids that skipped school to fish for the day.
My uncle is a freak when it comes to hunting and fishing. He most likely the best that I know as an all around outdoorsman. Once he retire he took up flyfishing for Steelhead and inland trout. He talk all the time on how much fun it is to catch a fish on the flyrod is. I needed to try this out I thought, the steelies are running up the feeder streams from the last to spawn and I am going to be in town. So the plans were set once I cleared it through my mom and dad since i was going up there to help them out.

The first day out was a bust only seeing one fish and nothing bit my line...Oh boy what fun I said to my uncle.

The day after easter we went to his "secret spot" It is a big feerer stream off of Lake Erie that is know for awesome fishing.
We hit the water at 6am and as we were walking donstream fish were everywhere I could not wait until daybreak to see if I could land one of these huge fish. I lived in Buffalo for 20 years and only fished for them a few times...What was I thinking.

To make a long story short we fished for 9 hours Hooked into 80 fish and landed 40 steelhead. I know you think I am telling a true fish tale but honestly i wouldnt lie! My uncle tells me no one would believe us most people think a good day is 4 or 5 fish. They were running upstream in 10's chasing the females. I guess I hit a once in a lifetime day on the stream and trust me I did not take it for granted. It was a day I will never forget, ad to spend it with a great person made it even more enjoyable. The fight on the flyrod was like no other. It took me to hook into 5 fish before I landed my first one. 20 to 30 minutes of fight time on average per fish.. It was AWESOME!!!!

Here are some Pics from the day!

And the biggest one of the day 33" long and 12 pounds!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:15 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Western New York Steelhead
Wow, what a day! I have hooked a steely or two over near Watertown, but nothing like that. I was salmon fishing and only hit one here or there feeding on salmon eggs. To land that many was great, were you using a #9 rod? It is great to have an uncle show you the ropes too. That really pushed up the learning curve for you. Congrats on a great day! Did you keep any for supper?

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Not many people will ever rival that day...that is a lot of steelhead...have never fished there in NY-Pa area but love to fish skating flies for them in BC wilderness.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 am
Longbeard

I was using a #9 weight rod 9 foot long. I did keep two of the "smaller" ones that I cought for my wife. I do not like seafood so I most likely eat them. I will try it since I caught but I bet me liking them is not oo promising.

My uncle has ben telling since that day we will never beat that day and most will not believe us. That is fine I was there and knoew happened.

Since then then fishing has slowed down and rain has made the streams either unfishable or too muddy to fish.

Tom

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile WWW