View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

Smallmouth 
King of Spring

Post Smallmouth
My family and I will be heading up to Scottsville Saturday for a day on the tubs.
I have fresh water fishe all my life , but have never ben around Smallmouths.
Any hints on what bait I should be using. This will be caught and release only.

I'm a little worried about the weather, have any of yall up that way heard about Saturdays forecast.
I'm just a little scared of lighting...okay I'm terrified :lol:

Tim

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Smallmouth
VBH...I haven't fished the James this year...but I would use plastic worms in Greenwatermellon and also green pumpkin color....fished Wacky rigged...and also a topwater Torpedo in black....if using Spinning gear....If flyfishing I would go with poppin bugs...Hennedup could probably give you some good tips on what to use...This time of year we usually have a T-storm about everyday mostly in the afternoon...good luck...stay safe.....and have a blast....

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

I love Zoom 4" lizzards in Chartreuse Pepper, Green Pumpkin and Pumpkin Chartreuse. I fish them carolina rigged.

I also like Gary Yamamoto craws in black or Chartreuse Pepper/black.

Some people do good with Case Plastics Mad toms, and as said above worms and top water.

For flies I really like the Sneaky Pete and wooly buggers on the upper James.

Have fun!! :smt006

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

Spinnerbait,white in color, it must have two gold #4 willowleaf blades,it WILL NOT let you down,ENJOY !!

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am
Longbeard

Tim,

I would suggest a 3" senko. Its a short 3"plastic worm that you fish weightless and motion less. I rig this on a 1/0 EWG hook, another way to fish it is with a #4 or 6 octopus hook, when I use this hook I will just nose hook the bait or wacky rig it by hooking it right in the middle. The octo hook is great as most the time the fish will hook themself.

The colors I like are green pumpkin w black flake or watermelon,pumpkin

Now how do you fish them you cast them out and dead drift them with the current while watching your line. Keep the slack up but if you feel the need to jerk it,twitch it, etc...then fish with something else this is a do nothing bait.

Right now the river's are choked full of grass so you'll want something that's not going to get snagged in the grass every other cast.

Hope this helps
Tony

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:37 am
Boss Gobbler

Tony,

O.K. you got me curious about this weightless worm thing with all the pictures you have been posting :lol: Just picked up some #4 octopus hooks and plan on giving it a shot come Friday.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Hey TS here is a pic of the set up. The one on the far left is nose hooked with a #Octo hook, the one in the middle is wacky rigged with a #4 octo hook and the one on the far left is rigged weedless with a 1/0 extra wide gap hook. Most of the time I use the one on the far right. Actually I carry 4 sometimes 5 rods on the yak and will have 2 senko rods one rigged each way.

Its seems like the first good ledge drop off from the bank is where Ive been catching fish it. Also this time of year smallies are positioning themselfs in front of current breaks (rocks,bolder,trees,)ect while in colder water and fall they will be behind those same type of structure. If these baits are not working start dragging a tube across the bottom and you'll catch fish.

TS Ill be at the beach this weekend but when I get back and you want to float in the yaks (I have 3)one day let me know and we'll chase some smallies. Good luck

Tony

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:18 pm
Longbeard

Oh yeah if your having a hard time finding the senkos. Elliot's in Radford carry's them. Yum,Case,GY,salty sticks there are several brands and the all catch fish. They make them in 3,4,5,6,7" but I prefer the 3". The pick is of black but Ill have several different colors.

Tony

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:24 pm
Boss Gobbler

Just got home from Gander and picked up a pack of 3" Chartuse with white belly (Gander version) I have some other plastics that are sililar that I plan on trying.

If they don't work I will head to Radford one day and pick up another bag or two.

Might take you up on the Yak trip, I would love try one of those out. Just looked at one at Gander

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Tried all three ways yesterday on the New River. Caught one 2 pound smallie with the 1/0 worm hook on the 3" Chart/White worm.

I did not fish too long due to a severe headache but really enjoyed the time on the water. Hope to hit it again next week.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:45 am
Profile WWW