View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

Much needed time on the water 
Longbeard

Post Much needed time on the water
Well guys its been a very long time since my last time on the water. I have tried to check in and see who's catching what. My last trip to the river was in March. I spent 6 weeks chasing gobblers in several startes and didnt make it on the water and when I did try to go the river was way to high for me. Then my son decided he wanted to play baseball and we spent the last month playing ball. When I thought it was over he made the allstar team and we played for a few more weeks. Well baseball is over they lost in the District championship game. Im sad its over really.

Now I make this post with a heavy heart. My aunt(51) who I loved dearly passed away this week. She has had cancer for the last 10 years. It started with breast cancer beat that, then bone cancer several times beat it, but this past year it was liver cancer and it finally got the best of her but not without a fight. I have never had someone close to me pass away so this has been very hard for me. Ive been mad,sad,angry really just at a loss.

So yesterday I needed to recharge my soul and wanted some alone time so I dragged the yak out loaded it and a few rods and headed to my favorite place. I was fished a senko and a tube. I caught a 14"er on the senko right away. Then I switched to the tube and caught several smallies all in the 14" range dragging a tube. I didnt really care if I caught a fish or not was just good to feel the wind in my face and the water on my feet.

I fished until it was almost dark and made my way back to the ramp but I wasnt ready to leave just yet I paddled up to an area that was good to me last year at dark at this time. I launched the tube and missed a solid fish right away. The current pushed me back so I paddled back up casted again and didnt feel anything so I set the hook and knew right away that I had a solid fish. It started pulling me and the yak and I was just holding on trying to adjust my drag.

When the largest smallie that I have ever seen came rocketing out of the river. When I say rocketing this fish had to of been 4' out of the water. Spit my tube at me as I floated back down. Guys it was the largest smallie I have really ever seen. Im bad for using the pig word but I have never come close to catching a fish of this size. I laid back in my yak pulled my hat off and when I did my glasses were snagged and off they went into the river.

My aunt was always playing jokes on me and I like to think this was one of her jokes. I just started laughing as I floated back to the ramp. I caught a few fish but the real jewel for me this trip was a peace in me that I needed.

Thanks for letting me share this
Tony

Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:31 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Much needed time on the water
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you spent the time on water wisely. Funny how our loved ones are always really with us in spirit. Smallmouths on the river at night are magical.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:57 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I'm sorry for your loss. I got a hunch she would appreciate your attitude . . .

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:21 am
King of Spring

I am very sorry to hear about your Aunt. You are in our prayers.

Max

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Hey Tony, sorry to here about your Aunt, I also have been doing the baseball thing, along with the allstars, i probably seen you at floyd and did'nt know it, i have a tourn at gatewood sat night and dont have a partner if your interested. :lol:

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:49 am
Poult

hennedup wrote:
Now I make this post with a heavy heart. My aunt(51) who I loved dearly passed away this week. She has had cancer for the last 10 years. It started with breast cancer beat that, then bone cancer several times beat it, but this past year it was liver cancer and it finally got the best of her but not without a fight. I have never had someone close to me pass away so this has been very hard for me. Ive been mad,sad,angry really just at a loss.
Tony

I know how you feel Tony but you need to be strong enough to face the reality. Your aunt had suffered a lot. I am sorry to hear your loss, just pray for now and everything would be all right.

Last edited by tanyC on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 pm
King of Spring

HU,

I understand you loss. Have been through it before but hope not to experience it again for some time. For me the most important thing is to allow yourself to feel. It use to scare me to allow deep feelings, but the only way out of a feeling is through. You will be okay. Just hang in there.

Regards,
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 am