View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 pm

Kayak-update! 
Longbeard

Post Kayak-update!
Hi guys and gals, I am excited to try my kayak out this weekend. I bought a old town predator K111 this week. Got it at gander 20% off. It looks pretty sweet. I plan on taking it waterfowler some this season and hope to do lots of fishing. I will give yall a report of any fish or whatever else goes down in the new yak. Take care and tight lines.

John

Last edited by ruger1022 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:07 am
King of Spring

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm
Longbeard

Post Kayak-update!
Hea I took the new kayak out on Sherando lake yesterday. It is pretty sweet. Can cast out of it pretty well. I am floating the maury today with my friend. Hope to have some smallmouth pics for ya. Take care hope everyone has a great weekend.

John

Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:32 am
Longbeard

Oh wow what a day on the river yesterday. Here is my big bass from yesterday. I did not have a scale but estimate 2-2.5 lbs about 16 inches. What a great way to break in my new yak. Thanks for letting me share.

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo43 ... 0_0964.jpg

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo43 ... 0_0965.jpg

Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:51 pm
King of Spring

Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:23 pm
King of Spring

Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:25 pm
Longbeard

Hey congrats on the new yak purchase. It will open up so many new places to fish that bank fisherman and jet boaters can get too. I have been fishing from a yak for 4 years and love it. I will give you some free advice. DO NOT USE AN ANCHOR. IF you did use one I would only use it on a lake if the wind was blowing me around. NEVER ANCHOR IN CURRENT!!! Now thats not to say theres not ways to stop yourself in current to fish. You can hop your yak up on rocks, use something like a gator clip to clip to small tree limbs that will break easy if you find your self in trouble. I fish from a SOT so I can run a rake handle through one of the scupper holes. Stay away from paddle leashes also they are also very dangerous. What Im trying to say is loose ropes on your yak can get caught on an underwater stainer and then wrap around you and pull you under. And one last thing always wear a PFD. Its the most important item that could save your life one day.

Now enough of that. You can get a sticker tape measure from the VDGIF or Cabelas to slap on the side of your yak. Just be sure to splash some water on in before laying a fish on it. Here are a couple of great sites to check out. www.blueridgekayakfishing.com and www.kayakbassfishing.com . One of the fun things about it is there are so many ways to rig a kayak. I have 3 now. A tarpon ripper,100 and a 120. I just sold a 130t and a manta ray 12. Here is a pic of my 100. You can see the tape on the side and the rake through scupper holes. I got a tri pod for my camera and was playing with it for this pic.

Oh yeah one other thing the less noise you can make in your yak the more fish you will catch. Im talking about laying your paddle down or while paddling and hitting the boat. Your paddle is your trolling motor on your yak. I do alot of 1 hand paddling while fishing to help hold me in place another way anchor in place.

And if you want a great book with alot of excellent info get the book "MY life in a Kayak and the pursuit of trophy smallmouth" by Jeff Little

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:43 pm
Longbeard

Hey man thanks so much for the advice. Let me know how you do on your trips. I love sharing photos and hearing stories. Any other advice just shoot my way. I am a beginner as you can tell and already have learned so much. Thanks hennedup for all the advice you gave me. Tight lines hope fishing is good for you this year. Take care

Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:49 pm
Poult

Post Re: Kayak-update!
I just purchased the ultimate 14.5 tandem made by native watercraft to get into the kayak fishing and using it this fall to hunt out of. I took the boys out on Sunday and it was a blast tested the stability and it held up. I will be taking it out soon to fish so any of you out there that has experience with Kayaks in general or the ultimate 14.5 let me know. Thanks in advance.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Kayak-update!
Dont know if your inclined to saltwater fishin, but i spent three years in va beach and bought a T120 SOT, was able to fish the bay out to the first island, the ocean, rudee, lynhaven inlet, concrete ships, etc. etc. You can really fish the CBBT and pull some nice stripers, flounder, etc right off the pilings. If your fishing for big fish or flounder make sure you bring a net. YOu are only limited by you sense of adventure. have seen big cobia, drum, sharks etc caught from a little yak. One boy down there paddled from the panhandle all the way up to little creek one summer. Go get and, be safe.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:23 pm