View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 am

Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2009 
King of Spring

Post The third time is a charm.
The USS Coalman's engine is fixed. The first theory was contaminated fuel. The second theory was lack of compression. Neither of those proved to be the problem. I discussed my problem with Ray and Roccus. They both said the next thing to check was my fuel pump.

The five parts arrived Friday. I highly recommend the helpful lady at the parts department at Riverfront Marine in Salisbury, MA. When I opened my UPS envelope she included a diagram of the fuel pump and even highlighted the parts I got and how they should be installed. Thank you nice lady at Riverfront Marine. :smile:

I rebuilt the fuel pump at 0600 this morning. I couldn't see anything wrong with the parts I took out. Then as I was examining the cloudy plastic solid gasket the light hit it just right and I could see a hairline crack where the plastic met the fuel pump housing. I took it in stride. I didn't want to be disappointed if that was not the problem. I was not looking forward to rebuilding any carburetors.

The pump was installed and primed. Then I replaced the #3 spark plug. It was wet and fouled from my journey a week ago. With a new plug in I fired the Yamaha up. My hopes were low. I listened and felt as the new fuel pump delivered her precious cargo.

The third fix was the charm. The USS Coalman is running on all cylinders. I took her for some Indy test drives in the river. She never sputted. I called Roccus as I drifted by the Farm and told him the good news. I want to thank Joe very much. He is a human instruction manual.

I would also like to thank Ray, my partner boat for hauling my gear to shore. The traps and the fish cage are all now safe in the barn for another long winter.

The sadess time of year.

I am going to miss my gym.

The last thing to do to complete Bug and Bass is too pull the boat out and get her ready for winter. To be honest it can't come soon enough...........

I want to go hunting!

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Ending where we started.
This is the final entry for Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2009. It has been a good season. Not great but not poor. It was somewhere in the middle. Lobsters never showed up in force and the pogies never came. But I consider any time on the water well spent.

With all the traps in the barn and the Yamaha feeling back to normal I took the final ride of 2009 up river to my home port launch. But before I made the ride up the river I had to take a trip to the trestle, pass underneath, salute Great Bay and thank God for his blessings.

It was a beautiful ride up the Squamscott River. These are cell phone pictures.

Rte 108 Bridge and Chapman's Landing.

Newfields, NH and its public launch and mooring field.

The OX Bow Cut and Rte 101 Bridge.

The view coming into Exeter, NH. The revolutionary war Powder House on the left at the point of trees.

And last but not least back where it all started this spring. In my hometown, Exeter, NH.

Thank you all for your views and comments. God willing I'll see you in Bug and Bass Great Bay 2010. Thank you for coming along.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Bugs and Bass Great Bay 2009
Coalman....great Pic's and great stories during your on the water adventures...hope you have a really good hunting season....lookin forward to reading about your hunts... :)

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:55 pm
Profile YIM