View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 pm

Best Day on the River........EVER! 
King of Spring

Post Best Day on the River........EVER!
New Years day found me foregoing the late muzzleloader season to do some musky fishing......I had my best year last year, catching 23, so I decided to try to start the New Year off right.........I got on the river around 10am, and within 20 minutes I had a fish in the boat...a neat 28"er......not a big fish, but a musky.......after a little while, I caught another one around 32" and I called my dad and said he needed to come down and fish......about the time dad showed up, I had another one around 34"......Dad got in the boat and after a few follows and a lost fish, Dad caught one around 36".......Then about 45 minutes after that, ol Paw Paw caught the big one........a really nice 45-46" heavy fish, probably around 26-27lb or so........we didn't take any measurements or weights and everything is approximate, but I'd say I'm pretty close. I ended up losing another fish right at the boat......so we boated five fish and could have easily boated 7, had we not lost one a piece. That was my first 3 fish day, and a great day to share with my dad.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 pm
King of Spring

Man, you are hard-core with those muskies!

Congratulations on a great trip!!

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:01 am
Boss Gobbler

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats, take your camera next time :wink:

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 am
King of Spring

Econo, you know I have several supersticous quirks..........I figured out that if I purposely take a camera to get a picture of a fish that I might catch, I'm 100% in not catching anything.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:04 pm
King of Spring

I've always heard that musky come at a rate of "1000 casts per fish" or someting like that.
Anyway I'd say you've started the year out WAYYYYYYYYY AHEAD!
Congrats man!

Barry

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:36 pm
King of Spring

I don't know Barry, I think I was due some back pay from 08....lol

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 pm
Longbeard

Fullback there are some guys fishing in Tenn that are having some days like that. THey are fishing below a power plant with a warm water discharge. Take the camera next time. ALso do you keep a jornal with weather,cfps ect... I usually post my fish reports on another site but this year im keeping a detailed journal. I think it will help in the future.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 pm
King of Spring

Yes, I do keep a journal and it's really helped, especially this year........I caught a record(for me) 23 muskys last year, this year I'm at 16 fish already....which means I will shatter last years record, or I'm gonna have a very long summer..and fishing for musky, it can go either way......but last years notes give me a pattern for this winter and it's worked for me this year, so far.....but I've only caught one fish over 40" and two above 36", so most of the fish have around 30-34".....I've read that Tenn's musky population is doing well........GN might have to put on muskies.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm