View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm

Michigan Fishing Advice?? 
King of Spring

Post Michigan Fishing Advice??
My wife and I are headed to northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula the end of June for a week of camping, biking, hiking, fishing, and maybe a few more "civilized" entertainments just for her. :wink: We're planning meals for the camp fire and at least one main course won't be bought. It will be provided by me and a fishing pole.

I've grown up on rivers, lakes, and the Atlantic way down south. I've done a fair bit of salt- and fresh-water fishing but the great lakes region is uncharted territory for me. Any tips or advice on species to fish for, baits to throw, tackle to use, techniques, etc. up there would be very much appreciated!

We're not taking a boat, so all my fishing will be with my feet on the bank or in the water. Anyone know when the salmon run? Most salmon species I've read about spawn in the fall, but I think some may run in spring/summer??

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:15 pm
Boss Gobbler

Most of your Spawn stuff will be in the fall up that way, But if there is any way you can hook up and hit a Walleye trip so it. you will not be disappointed by the meat from a walleye.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:01 am
King of Spring

I've got a few screws loose, I know......but if I were going to be in Michigan anytime this summer, I'd be throwing bucktail spinners for Musky and Northern Pike.....that's another trip I'd like to make sometime in my life, to go to Michigan or preferably Wisconson around Boulder Junction to muskie hunt for about a week.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:41 pm
King of Spring

FB, do you use a wire leader for those toothy critters?

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:36 am
King of Spring

I echo Hody's comments. I haven't fished around Michigan, but have been on Lake Earie quite a few times. Walleye are the best eating fish out there. I use to just soak them in milk, put some flour on them and fry them in butter. I know people who don't really like fish that much, but love Walleye. They are good eating. If you are looking for food, try walleye. Also, I use to catch them in WV using jigs below the tailings of a damn on the Monongahelia River. If you are not loosing a jig every once in a while you are fishing where the fish are. Might even be able to get a charter for Walleye too. Good luck.

Vic

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 am
King of Spring

After y'all's comments on walleye, I'm focusing my research on THEM! Sounds like they're great fighters too. I just hope I'll be able to get to them from shore. What I've read so far says I might be able to hook up from the shore after dark . . .

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:21 pm
Boss Gobbler

Actually they are not really greatfighters like a smallie or striper. They just kind of pull. They are excellent to eat. They also may have some perch like Erie does. You get some minnows and get into a school and you will have eats for several days.
Also the perch are usually not in that deep of water.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 am
King of Spring

Some sort of leader is a must for musky and pike........wire is good.....I've been using flourocarbon lately and it seems to hold up well.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:15 pm